1980 GM 3.0L Valve Adjustment

hmmhesays

Cadet
I have a 1980 gm 3.0L (181) CID, that I need to adjust the rock arms on. The manual I have seems to be wrong about the arrangement of the valves. It says the arrangement is

cylinder 1 (Intake - Exhaust)
cylinder 2 (Exhaust - Intake)
cylinder 3 (Intake - Exhaust)
cylinder 4 (Exhaust - Intake)

It seems on my engine it is

cylinder 1(Exhaust - Intake)
cylinder 2(Intake - Exhaust)
cylinder 3 (Exhaust - Intake)
cylinder 4(Intake - Exhaust)

Does anyone else have a GM 3.0L that they can confirm this with?

Thanks

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: 1980 GM 3.0L Valve Adjustment

You right about the valve arrangement.

I wonder what else my be incorrect in your Clymers/Solec manual that you didn't notice as you did your repairs. You should get a set of OEM manuals.

hmmhesays

Cadet

Well if that was wrong, I wonder if the valve adjustment arrangement was wrong. Can you tell me which ones should be adjusted when cylinder 1 is at TDC between the compression and power stroke?

Or maybe you could post the whole procedure if you have an OEM repair manual. One other thing I thought might be a bit off is after you have tightened the rocker to the point where you can no longer turn the push rod, the clymer manual calls for another 3/4 turn to set the lifter to mid travel. That seemed a bit much to me...

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if your supposed to do it this way but I have always adjusted the valves by letting it idle with the valve cover off and use a feeler guage as I slide tighen/loosen the adjuster nut.
I am sure I will get slagged for that but I would be interested to see the correct way of doing it is as well according to the oem manual.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

I prefer to do the Running Adjustments as Well,........

Loosen each 1 til it Clatters,+ Bring it Down to Quite,+ Then 3/4 to 1 Turn More for Pre-load........

hmmhesays

Cadet

What do you guys use to keep oil from spraying everywhere?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm.... Back asswards.....:eek:
#1 position firing position.....
#1 E,I....#2-I #3-E #4-I

#4 position....

#2 E
#3 I
#4 E......:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I use the "Engine Not Running" method and have no problems with oil spraying.

3.0%20Valve%20adjustment.png

Bondo

Staff member

There's a set of Clip on deflectors available,......
Some folks Cut Up a Valve Cover,......
Others just Use Alot of Rags....................;)

Btw,............

Haut,......... I Love the New Avatar,........
I had to Drag My Love over to the screen,+ Show her the other night,......
It's a Hit,....!..!!.....

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just lay a bunch of rags all over the place. it won't get all that messy, but if your really fancy the clip on deflector sounds cool.
Glad to see I am not doing it some weird way. :) Looks like I finally did something right. woo hoo for me.

If your doing it like this for the first time, you will get a feel for when the feeler guage is grabbing, loosen it til iyou can slideit around with nograbbing then start to tighten it up til it starts to grab and your off to the races.

Bondo

Staff member

you will get a feel for when the feeler guage is grabbing, loosen

What Feeler Gage,.......

Running Adjustment is done with a Socket,+ Ratchet,+ Nothing more.......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

jedi must be thinking solid lifters

hmmhesays

Cadet

Well I got them adjusted, but 3/4 on the adjustment nut after you have it tightened down so you can't turn the pushrods anymore was way to much. 3/4 started opening the valve...

3/4 turn after you start to feel the pushrod drag when trying to spin it seems about right.

hmmhesays

Cadet

Don S where did you get that page and can you email me the rest of them? :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, I can't email any more. First of all, that is from a newer engine. Just happens to be the same method as in Service manual #3 that you need.
On to your valve adjustment. If 3/4 turn is too much, then the lifters need replaced, OR you didn't adjust them properly.
You really need to go around and loosen ALL the lifters up about 2 turns. Now go looking for #1 TDC.
Then when you start with the first lifter. start turning the nut down while moving the pushrod with your fingers. Just as the pushrod stops moving, stop adjusting, and DO NOT recheck to see if it will turn....... It will, and if you keep doing that, the adjustment will not work.
As SOON as that pushrod stops moving the very first time, that is the time to add the 3/4 turn. Then, leave it alone and go to the next.
Find a way to mark them after they are adjusted if you have to, so you don't loose track of which you have done and which haven't.

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah solid lifters, I guess I am from a different era. I would have thought a 1980 GM had solid lifters. All this new fancy stuff is too confusing. :)

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering why you would need to ajust them in the first place. Were they making lots of noise or is this something that you are doing as preventative maitenance?