timing issue

bicedawg

Cadet
i have a 84 bayliner with a gm 350, 270 outdrive, aftermarket intake, point conversion to electronic, just put the motor back together got it started but i think it is 180 off, will an engine run 180 degrees off and if so what is the best way fix it. pull the dist and bump the motor around a turn or what thanks for the info pb

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: timing issue

If it runs, it's not 180 out.
Please describe your problem.

bicedawg

Cadet

it will run but not idle sounds like it is backfiring out the carb and the timing mark is not even close to where it should be. when i put it back together the timing marks on the timing chain were right on ( matched) with the #1 piston at tdc am i ok so far? or should i just start from scratch? thanks pb

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If the marks on the timming gears were together that is #6 TDC NOT #1. That would be 180 out, but like Don said they don't usually run 180 out. Time to pull #1 plug and find TDC #1.

bicedawg

Cadet

thanks i will start from scratch in the morning thanks for dealing with all the newbies again thanks pb

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might check that you also have the proper firing order on your plug wires.
Since you just put the motor back together, might want to re-check the valve adjustment also.

bicedawg

Cadet

thanks for your time, don i may check back with u after i follow up again thanks pb

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

timing chain/gear marks only line the cam-to-the- crank not the dist.
get #1 on compression and reset the dist.