1963 Evinrude 75HP

mmcmille

Cadet
I just got a free boat this weekend and it supposedly runs but I haven't got a chance to fire it up yet. One of the spark plugs is broken off. I know it probably hasn't run in at least 2 years. Is there anything that I should check before I try and start it? I am going to clean the carbs out but is there anything else? I checked and it turns so it isn't seized up.

Also, are these pretty good motors? I had a 70's model Evinrude once and it ran pretty good and I liked it.

thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1963 Evinrude 75HP

tilt it all the way up, put a little oil in each cylinder and let it sit a while, then lower it, and turn it over without plugs to blow the oil out. check all the cable for nicks, cracks, cuts, loose, corroded connections. i just brought a 58 35hp back to life.

mmcmille

Cadet

I've been out working on it today and I was wondering something. Before I start spending a bunch of money on this thing are they really worth it? I know it's mechanical and stuff break but are these known for good quality and lasting long?

dad's boat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TD
do you have that in a copy paste format starting to sound like a broken recored but it is good advise.:D

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mmcmille, I'm into my second season with a 1964 Evinrude 75 hp Speedifour. Mine also came on a free boat. I found that the motor and trailer were the best things. The boat was the problem. After I got the carburetors cleaned out ( I mean really clean) my engine starts just the way the promotional literature claims. "A turn of the key starts it instantly every time". It hardly cranks, it just immediatley fires up. I have the engine on a 16 foot fiberglass runabout and we use it for skiing and tubing. Even pulling a 200+ lb rider in the tube with three adults in the boat it gets up on plane in seconds. I rarely have to use WOT.
It's so old, it's simple to work on and parts are still available.

mmcmille

Cadet

Yeah, I'll probably have some issues with the boat itself too. I have the title and if I remember correctly it is a 65 North American. The floor and all seems pretty solid. Does yours have electric shift?

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, my engine is mechanical shift and I like it that way. I say the less electrics on a boat, the better.

mmcmille

Cadet

yeah, that's how I feel too. but, it was free so I guess I'll tolerate it. I just hope it works. I hope to get it running this week. The wiring to the ignition switch was a mess and it wouldn't turn over unless we wiggled wires around and stuff. It didn't have any spark either so maybe I can figure that issue out too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Everybody likes to bad-mouth the electric shift. Sure there are things that can go wrong with it, but there are things that can go wrong with the mechanical shift too. Both can cost you huge $$. Between the two, I prefer the electric.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well it looks as though Commander FR is at the ready to help you with any electric shift problems...if you have any. Keep us posted on your progress.

phoneguy925

Cadet

i have a 1972 125hp evinrude with electric shift i just recently had to retro fit the shift selector switch but my question is with the motor off and the key on and the switch set to neutral is the engine suposed to go into nuetral it seems it is only in neutral when the engine is running. and if any one needs help retrofitting the selector switch and keeping the neutral safety its easy and inexpensive just shoot me a mesage on here or at redvrrooom@yahoo

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

i have a 1972 125hp evinrude with electric shift i just recently had to retro fit the shift selector switch but my question is with the motor off and the key on and the switch set to neutral is the engine suposed to go into nuetral it seems it is only in neutral when the engine is running. and if any one needs help retrofitting the selector switch and keeping the neutral safety its easy and inexpensive just shoot me a mesage on here or at redvrrooom@yahoo

Your hydro-electric gearcase is operating exactly as designed. It will shift to forward any time the engine is not running.

mmcmille

Cadet

I don't think that I have any shift problems...yet. I need to find a manual and figure out the wiring from the ignition switch to the motor it is such a mess.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes a manual is the starting point of any motor work. My Clymer manual covers a range of years and the wiring diagrams only cover certain models and years. You would have to find a wiring diagram that is most like yours if it's not specifically listed.

mmcmille

Cadet

I went to the library and got a Clymer manual but it doesn't mention anything about the model I have. If I recall it doesn't really say anything about electric shift. I think I could figure it out if it wasn't for that.

Willyclay

Captain

I have two different manuals (not OMC) covering your model motor including wiring diagram that I retained from the days when I had a 1962 Johnson 75HP V-4 with electric shift. If you would like copies, send me a PM with your mailing address.

Last edited: