seafoam

hammyloz

Seaman
here in england what is the equivalent to seafoam
non of the shops i been to have heard of seafoam so all these threads saying use seafoam is there anyone in the know what we call it

hammyloz

Seaman
Re: seafoam

thats a good site but they dont deliver to the uk thats why i want to know if we have an equivalent

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A different product I think is pretty good is Berryman's B12 Chemtool. Same kind of can, nearly the same mixing instructions and I can't really tell that Seafoam works better. But I've only used Seafoam twice.

In the states B12 costs about $3 where Seafoam costs about $6.

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=140

Of course I don't know if they sell it in the UK either.

hammyloz

Seaman

thanks pman but no they dont
please someone help as you guys over the water swear by seafoam so i really want to use it. i dont suppose if anyone sees it on your ebay they could let me know the item number

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is naptha and isopropyl alcohol with some oil. That's it! Nothing magical about the stuff. Find some carb cleaner with the exact ingredients or buy the naptha at a paint store and the alcohol at a medical supply. The alcohol has to be the 99% type.

hammyloz

Seaman

thanks pman have contacted the guy and he wont ship to uk

bruce do you have redex over there and is that the same sort of stuff

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is naptha and isopropyl alcohol with some oil. That's it! Nothing magical about the stuff. Find some carb cleaner with the exact ingredients or buy the naptha at a paint store and the alcohol at a medical supply. The alcohol has to be the 99% type.

If the mixture is intended to be used only as a gas tank additive, and NOT sprayed directly into the carbs, is is OK to just add Naptha to the gas tank or just add 99% isopropyl alchohol to the gas tank without both being used at the same time?​

Also, if it is OK to use Naptha or 99% isopropyl alchohol seperately, what would be a good ratio to use for adding to the gas tank?​

I speculate that the oil addditive to the mixture would be important if the mixture is going to be sprayed directly into the carbs but not important if the Naptha or 99% isopropyl alchohol are added to the gas tank for an oil-injected motor. Also, I speculate there is no chemical magic to the combination of Naptha and 99% isopropyl alchohol and that the Naptha and 99% isopropyl alchohol can do their own thing without needing to be in the gas tank at the same time. Am I speculating well?​

Thanks for any thoughts​

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Naptha is a solvent and isopropyl alcohol acts as a gas drier. The oil isn't necessary if it is going in the fuel. i have a feeling they only have that if you put it in the oil. Also, they probably just use it too boost the volume of the product to make you think you are actually buying something.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From the msds sheet this is what is in seafoam.

1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%​

2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%​

3 IPA 125 10-20%​

The Seafoam cans are 16oz and I understand that it is suggested to use a 16oz can for 20 gallons of gas. If this is correct, would the appropriate amount of Naptha and IPA to use for 20 gallons of gas be as shown below?

Also, while I understand that they do different things, do they need to be mixed together to work or can only one or the other be added to the fuel depending on the intended purpose (i.e., solvent on carb internals or as a gas drier)?

Naptha: 4.0oz to 5.6oz (25% of 16oz to 35% of 16oz)

IPA: 1.6oz to 3.2oz (10% of 16oz to 20% of 16oz)

Pale Oil: (not needed as gas additive)

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

So all the plumes of white smoke is just burning off that oil.......
I let that seafoam sit overnight in a old dunebuggy engine and the next day I am pretty sure the space shuttle saw my smoke cloud from space..:eek: :D

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The MSDS is supposed to list the contents of the product and any safety measures. So any secret ingredients should show up.

Note it said Naptha 20. I know there are numerous types of naptha. I personally don't the differences or what difference they would make. Punch in naptha on a www search engine and sit back.

Note it says IPA alcohol....Isopropyl Alcohol.....like Bruce says medical alcohol. At least we know it's not ethyl or methyl but I don't know what difference either would make. The other thing I have wondered, especially with IPA is that if it is not 100% solution, what constitutes the remainder? Water? Hope not.

The oil is probably a high grade mineral oil since this product came out before TCW was TCW.

Berryman's B12 chem tool is mean stuff and I know it's hard on anything it touches.....that's why it works so good at dissolving grease and varnish. I know they have been selling it in aerosol and in a can for many 10's of years also. I only use the aerosol where I have to clean up a carb or degrease something really good....where no paint is around. I don't know if I'd put it in my fuel on a continuoual basis or not. Not educated in that area. Maybe a trip to it's MSDS would be in order.

My 2c

Mark

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

99% IPA means the remaining 1% or a fraction of 1% can be water. They can't say 100% because it is theoretically impossible.

Ethyl alcohol is ethanol. IPA can absorb more water before seperating like ethanol does and that is why IPA is used as a drier.

If you really want to use something that is a better solvent than the naptha that is in seafoam, use the Chevron Techron...it contains a way better solvent.