88 3.7 merc loading up

roadrash

Seaman
If i spend more than a half hour trolling my engine loads up...Bad. I expect some but this is too much... my buddy has the same boat no problems Anyyways i believe its a merccarb 2bbrl. and want to check the mixture but not sure where the proper setting should be. all the way in and then twoo turns out? all the tune up items are new and dialed in. Was gonna try the mixer and run a one up hotter plug and c if it makes a diffrence before ordering a carb kit. again, thanks for your help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 88 3.7 merc loading up

Forget about changing the Sparkplugs to Fix a Carb Issue.......

Your float is probably Too High,+ it's Flooding.....

Get the Carb Kit,+ Install it....... That should Fix you right Up.......

Coors

Captain

And just putting it in neutral and revving will clean it-old experience from having too much cam in a street car

roadrash

Seaman

somtimes it does but some times its so bad that it fouls the plugs. wondering if anyone knows where the mixure should be set at

Bondo

Staff member

You Can't set the mixture with the Screw, If the Floats are Dumping in Fuel,.....

After you Fix the Problem,....
Then you start with the screws set to 1,+ 1/2 or so,...
Get it running,+ Find the Best setting by Ear, or Vacuum Gauge........

roadrash

Seaman

Orderd the rebuild kit. Any chance at this low rpm that the switch on the engine that cuts it down from 4clynders two 2 is still engaged at this low rpm?

roadrash

Seaman

ok i rebuilt the carb, everything is fine except if i slam the gas at low rpm it dies out. everything else is fine. what gives?

roadrash

Seaman

all tune up stuff is dialed in. got the best sound by ear, and backed the throttle down so she runs about 700 rpm. And some one with experience helped me with the rebuild. Could it be cause i only had her running on muffs and not in the water yet? has ben my experience that they run a little diffrent on muffs with other boats than in the actual water. (why I havnt a clue but it seems that way)

Coors

Captain

Bondo-o is right, rich. Use a tach, not your ear to set it. Or a vacuum gauge is better.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

There is nothing that makes it run on two cylinders - the shift interupt switch kills all four cylinders, this is not your problem, it would not foul plugs, it would just die.

You also need to check your accelerator pump, it gives an extra squirt of gas whenever there are rapid throttle movements to prevent a lean condition.

You also, should not be slamming the gas while on the muffs - your engine does not like it.

roadrash

Seaman

all the problems are fixed except for the dieing out when the throttle is opened wide from a idle itll stal out. i got my best rpm and turned had to turn the idle down. just rebuilt the carb and im lost to what i should look at

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

As roadrash stated, sounds like theres an issue with the accelerator pump. Check and make sure your getting a strong "fuel squirt" when you wack the throttle.

roadrash

Seaman

squirting good , I tiped the carberator upside down after it was done to scrape the old gasket(didnt know this was a no no) think i should open it up and check the float?

roadrash

Seaman

ok i took it back apart and the float is dead nutzzzzzz. the only thing that i can think is that the auto choke seems not to be working. (limited knowledge of carberators) the flap on top doesn seem to move much, a little when first started but not much after that. should this move as the engine is reved?

roadrash

Seaman

and yes im getting a good squirt of fuel, seems to go in when cranking the gas but just not burning right away(flame in face

roadrash

Seaman

and does anyone know the proper idle set? I have it at about a grand on muffs wich drops her to 750 in the water

roadrash

Seaman

and i didnt have this problem before the rebuild wtf..............................

roadrash

Seaman

Ok here is another question to go alopng with all that jumble. Mercury changed the timing from 8 down 2 4 cause of the better gas quality these days.(mine set about 5) could i be loading up and having trouble at the low rpm with the carb cause of this? Will my gap change if i move the timing back?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you fix the choke?

Reset timing according to the dealer?

Do you have a strong spark? Correct fuel pressure by the manual?