A quick question

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class
How long will a johnson/Evinrude outboard motor last under normal running conditions before a rebuild is required. Another question if it has been used in salt water often does the time it takes before it need a rebuild differ from a motor that has been used in freshwater

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: A quick question

That is going to depend on many factors; the main one being how well it has been maintained. I have a 150 Mariner that has spent its whole life in the salt. It has been maintained and flushed regularly. It's 21 years old and has nearly 120 compression across all cylinders.

Saltwater is much more corrosive than freshwater of course, but its effects can be greatly minimized by proper maintainence.

How old is the motor you are referring to?

Have you checked the compression? If so post your readings.​

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

How long?

Could be 500 - 2500 hours.
Or, 0.1 - 70 years.

Too many variables.
Most rebuilds are caused by operator error, most of the rest are caused by poor maintenance, and a very few are the result of actually using the motor up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your talking about running it the St.Johns, and tributaries, correct. just flush the engine occasionaly. build a stand, and use a garbage can to run it in. get the motor deep enough in the can, so the impeller can pick up the water. if i remember correctly your boat is not on a trailer. i don't always flush mine after every use. My dad never flushed his.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep I already do that I built a Stand with my uncle and i flush the motor every so often.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you're doing the right thing. take care of that engine you have, and your kids can use it.