1975 Jonson 135 lower unit won't come off

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice
1975 johnson 135. Trying to get the lower unit off to replace the impeller. I have a manual and I'm following it. I completely disconnected the shift linkage so that should not be a problem. Removed the 4 bolts holding the lower unit on as well as the trim bolt and the other bolt in the underside. The only thing I did not do is remove the prop. Is that why? I've hammered on the unit with a rubber mallet to loosen it up, but nothing.

If I have to take the prop off, any special instrictions? I can't get the cotter pin out is why I skipped that step.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 Jonson 135 lower unit won't come off

the prop has nothing to do with it. probably corrosion on the drive shaft. has this been a salt water engine. when was the last time it was off?

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice

Freshwater only. I believe last time it was apart was 4 years ago. The engine only made about 5 trips to the lake in the 1st 2 years, and about 15 in the last two.

Should I keep hammering with the rubber mallett? Heat? WD40?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Remove two bolts on each side, one bolt in front of the trim tab, one trim tab bolt and one bolt hidden above the trim tab, total of seven including the trim tab bolt.

REMOVE the screw under the carbs on the starboard side, spread the bellcrank arms so that the pin on the shift rod disconnects.

fseventy

Seaman Apprentice

That's the ticket. Thanks.