Sea King Made by StarcCraft?

CATransplant

Admiral
Doing some research on the web, I found a site that said that the Sea King aluminum boats sold by Montgomery Ward in the 60's were made by StarcCraft. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Mine is a little 12' tinny. It's surprisingly solid and seaworthy for a mail order boat. Does this look like any Starcraft models from the early 60's. Mine's a 1964.

notlund.jpg

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sea King Made by StarcCraft?

I can't prove or disprove that Sea King from Montgomery Wards was built by Starcraft, but I was interested enough to go through some of my old Sports Afield magazines to look at old ads. These magazines were in the late '50's to '70's. There were a lot of cheap aluminum boat manufactures and boat kits available. Reynold aluminum supplied aluminum to many of these companies.
I came up with 2 boats that looked like the picture you enclosed. One was built by "Richland MFG" in Richland, Mo.... The 2nd boat was built by Starcraft. It was called a SEA SCAMP, and it came in 12' & 14'. The picture of the Starcraft looks to be a dead ringer to the picture you enclosed. Unfortunately I couldn't find an ad for Sea King and non of the Starcraft ads said anything about Montgomery Wards.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't worry too much over who made the boat for Monkey Wards. You won't need any specific Starcraft or Wards parts for it. BTW, we have two Monkey Ward's 17' alum canoes. Have no idea who made them, but they have held up very well over 20+ years.

PS: I bet you get allot of attention in MN with that "NOTLUND" decal. :D

CATransplant

Admiral

That's the reason for the decal. :D

The outboard is a Sears Gamefisher 9.9hp. It runs great, but the decals peeled off the sides of the cover. I have a vinyl company making me new ones. They say:

NotEvenRude

My backup outboard, a 5hp Sea King Clinton-based thing has decals from Briggs&Stratton that say: "Briggs and Stratton Performance"

Folks laugh at my boat, and that's a good thing. They stop laughing, though, when they watch me fish from it. The size and cost of the boat has nothing to do with fishing, and I'm on the water. I can't afford much more than this thing, but I'm on the lake all the time.

CATransplant

Admiral

The 2nd boat was built by Starcraft. It was called a SEA SCAMP, and it came in 12' & 14'. The picture of the Starcraft looks to be a dead ringer to the picture you enclosed. Unfortunately I couldn't find an ad for Sea King and non of the Starcraft ads said anything about Montgomery Wards.

Based on the information I got from that other web site, I think that confirms what I thought. I don't care, really, but it's a quality-built boat, with heavier than normal aluminum than some small tinnies I've seen.

kreich

Recruit

My monky wards is a 75 model 12' and its made by Delhi in LA.