symptoms

hammyloz

Seaman
could one of you very knowledgebale people out there give me the symptoms if the main nut(the one that holds it to the block itself) of a carb (one of 3 carbs) wasnt tightened properly
now to put it in laymans terms
there are 3 carbs with 2 nuts holding each carb to the engine i tightened them all up but i think i didnt tighten one good enough and think its loose what would the symptoms of this be I.E what would the engine act like (i know what it is doing i just want to see if you guys come out and say it) then i`ll know it is that thanks to all

Laddies

Banned
Re: symptoms

If a loose carb nut did anything you might get a lean idle or off idle problem. Thighten it up you know thats not right and tell us what your problem is. I don't think anyone worth listening to will tell you run it around with loose carb it will be fine

hammyloz

Seaman

thats the reason i asked what the symptoms would be so heres what happened
after cleaning carbs and putting them back on put her in the sea and off i went and she ran beautiful and im laughing but all of a sudden she went from 65 knts to 45knts then 3 mins later down to 35knts so i got her back to the marina on slow throttle which was fine tied her up and she was idling horrible but still idling i checked all the plugs (plug tester in hand) they were all fine now 3 days later and nowhere near her i remembered the nut i tightened it but i dont think fully would it have vibrated loose an caused the above problem or is it more drastic
merc blueband inline 6 1982
oh yeah if i tried opening throttle to go any faster engine just stalled

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not having that nut tight means the cylinder that carb is feeding is running lean. Running lean is not a good thing and the power loss you experienced might be due to that cylinder being severely scored and the piston partially burned away or even holed. Pull the plugs and run a compression check. It sounds like you may have burned it down. I hope I'm wrong.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Or a venting problem, since you had good spark.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw the post for spark plug color.

Are your plugs bad?

hammyloz

Seaman

no my plugs are number 14 (the best)
i`m just going over problems in my head also thinking diaphragm may be hard

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to here you are on track.

Did you check that nut?

Stay with the simple stuff first.

Then compression check next and post your findings.