outdrive dropping out

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 flybridge with a volvo engine and a mercruiser outdrive. While i am accelerating once i get about half throttle the drive just cuts out, but the engine still revs higher. Any possible things to check would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time it happened and i was able to motor back to the dock in low speed. I shut it down and don't want to use it again out of fear of doing more damage.Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outdrive dropping out

If you didn't smell rubber burning, then you probably spun the hub in the prop. If you smelled rubber, it was likely the engine coupler.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

Basically there's 3 Choices,......

The Prop Hub is Slipping,.........
The Coupler is Going South,........
Or,....
There's an Internal Problem with the Drive..........

And,...... Those 3 are in order of Probability,+ Ease,+ Expence of Repairs............
Well,....... It might be a Toss Up between the 2nd,+ 3rd for the Ease,+ Expence of Repairs.............

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no i didn't smell burning rubber. If the prop came out of the hub would i be able to go slow. What do i check. Thanks

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

no i didn't smell burning rubber. If the prop came out of the hub would i be able to go slow. What do i check. Thanks
Yes, you will generally still move at lower RPM. To check the prop mark a line on the hub from the center out, then run the boat till you loose thrust. Check the line, if it's off your hub has spun. Either re-hub or replace the prop.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you would be able to go at slow speed with a spun hub.....
The easiest way to check for a spun hub would be to put on your spare prop......
If you don't have one, you should.....;)
You can index the prop by putting nail polish on the prop nut & the inside ring of the prop itself....
Run the boat, til it "slips' & observe those marks....
If they do not line up that is your problem.....:)