Suzuki DT85 Cooling outlet

Killyleagh

Cadet
Hi all,

I've just bought a boat with a mid 80s DT85. I've been test running it in a barrel but can't see where the cooling water is pumped from. Other outboards I've used have the water pumped from the head area or top of the leg. Does this engine return it under water?

Many thanks.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT85 Cooling outlet

welcome to iboats :) ...... nope this engine also "pee's" the water from the cowling, water should also sputter from the hole in the middle of the leg just under the cowling ...... so time for a impellar change would be my geuss ..... what is the serial number then I can tell you what year so you can order a impellar .......

Killyleagh

Cadet

Hi,

Thanks for the really fast response!

If the serial number is on a plate on the mounting, it is 8501 308837.

Whereabout on the cowling does the water pee from? My lack of technical terminology here may cause confusion! From the top there's the hood, which attaches to the cowling? Below the cowling is a tapered piece of bodywork that encases the top of the leg. Dead centre at the rear of the tapered piece is a rubber outlet. Is this the "sputtering" outlet you refer to? I can't see any other obvious outlets.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hi, you have a 83' model 2-stroke - the silver edition? ...... attached is a pic of my 30hp suzuki, not exactly as your motor but you'll get the idea, yours should be at the exact same place .......

IMG_7069.jpg

Killyleagh

Cadet

Thanks a million, that's very kind of you!

Everything appears OK now, I think I was shutting the motor down too quickly when I didn't see any water. It's peeing well and sputtering strongly. I tracked the outlet hose from the top of the motor to the cowl. At the bottom of the motor is a similar nipple with a length of hose that runs into the boat and is just plugged. Is this for a temp/pressure gauge? Obviously being an old engine there's been all sorts of tinkering done to it!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

that is just for the speedo ......glad the motor is pumping water nicely .....

Killyleagh

Cadet

Hi again,

Got my boat launched yesterday (a Shetland 536) and took it for a run. For half a hour or so it was great, out of the hole no problem and cruising at about three quarters throttle (sorry, no tacho). Then the engine appeared to start "choking", showed all the signs of being about to die. Reduced throttle to less than half and managed to limp home. It sounded fine, no misfires, and ticked over contentedly in neutral. I didn't have time to investigate yesterday, just had to secure it on it's mooring. Got any pointers where I should start looking, please?

Cheers.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Are you 100% sure that your oil injection is working properly?

Killyleagh

Cadet

No, but when test running it in a barrel it produced lots of exhaust smoke.

Killyleagh

Cadet

Ran the engine for two hours yesterday with no problem. It's using oil and pumping water. Yesterday was just me on board, the previous occasion when I had problems I was carrying two heavyweight friends and maybe just asked too much of the motor. I take it it's fitted with some means of protecting itself?