think the head gasket junk..what do you think.

revherup

Cadet
i have a 1971 chrysler volvo 130 motor in my boat..first off it is hard to start,backfires at low idle and oil around the head to the block (gasket) is coming out decent....wat do you guys think...and is there anything to look for when taking head off...

revherup

Cadet
Re: think the head gasket junk..what do you think.

i have a 1971 chrysler volvo 130 motor in my boat..first off it is hard to start,backfires at low idle and oil around the head to the block (gasket) is coming out decent....wat do you guys think...and is there anything to look for when taking head off...

anyone

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you done a compression check? Have you tried re-torqueing the head? Is your ignition sytem in good shape...changed plugs/wires/cap/rotir/points? How is your fuel system...changed all the filters?"

A lot there to look at before blaming a head gasket.

Oh...another thing...give people a chance to read your post.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If a gasket is leaking oil, then it needs replaced.
Like burce says do a compression test, and possibly a leakdown test. But forget retorquing the head on a 30+ year old engine. It's way past the retorque stage.

revherup

Cadet

i have done a full tune up.runs good after 2000rpm but then oil comes out of the head gasket area and starts to smoke....then you try to go back to like 1000rpm it starts to die i give it gas and it backfires and then i have to hold the gas wide open and turn the key for like 50sec before it will even try to start...iam just trying to figure out if the head gasket is junk wouldent that cause it to run like sh!t.... and when you put it in to gear it onley goes to about 3500 rpm..i dont know if prop is to big thow i dont know what the 18ft chryslers came with it for a prop....

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Don't worry about the prop just yet... You're never going to get the thing running right if oil is pouring out from under the head. Put a new gasket on it and then try to retune it.

Bondo

Staff member

first off it is hard to start,backfires at low idle then you try to go back to like 1000rpm it starts to die i give it gas and it backfires and then i have to hold the gas wide open and turn the key for like 50sec before it will even try to start..

That's a Fuel Delivery Issue............

By the sounds of it,........ You need a Carb Rebuild, or Replacement........

Don S

You HAVE to fix the oil leak, so replace the head gasket. Then address the other things.
Like bondo mentioned, you probably need carb work, but you might as well make sure the engine is sound before working on carbs, ignition, and props.

revherup

Cadet

got the head of today i think i found why it dont run good(look at pic)and on the corner of gasket there was oil..so hope this will fix all my problems..well most of them..
Photo_00841.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would say that gasket was pretty well shot.At least its better than a cracked head or block..:D

revherup

Cadet

ya i looked all over and no cracks...i think she just needs a gasket and good to go..

Don S

You might want to check for low spots in the head or block around where the gasket blew out.

revherup

Cadet

i think it might have happened because the thing sat for two years and then i stated it and got it cind off hot but ill look

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am assuming you mean "kinda hot". Why didn't you say that in your first post?

revherup

Cadet

well it ran better did not backfire but it smokes like you would not belive out of the pvc valve on sideof motor (oil is coming out of it in to carb) and then when i am on it wide open and then go stright back to idle it dies...need to figure this out have a camping trip coing up and need to take boat......

Bondo

Staff member

but it smokes like you would not belive out of the pvc valve on sideof motor (oil is coming out of it in to carb)

Ayuh,......

That Sounds like the Rings are Shot,......
Because of,........
and then i stated it and got it cind off hot

revherup

Cadet

why would it still have good compresion then and not smoke out the exaust

revherup

Cadet

the only thing i am trying to figure out is why would it smoke only when you are on it not when you are e idleing...and it still will rev out fine you wouldent think if a ring is bad that it would rev out...think it may be a valve it has the lead head onit not unleaded?

Don S

Do you know what a leak down test is, or does, or how to do it? It will answer your question. Go to the link I posted previously. It's about all you can find on a leakdown test.