Where to buy a ppwer pack for a 1977 55hp johnson?

sphinx6060

Cadet
Figured out that my problem with it starting is the power pack. Wouldnt start this morning so I check spark and while cranking I only got 1 spark. Tapped the power pack a couple times and then tried. Started right up. Iv checked online but everyone that list a power pack for it say "Out of stock" or "No longer available". Thanks
And yes I took the cover off to check connections and see if any were loose or corroded.

sphinx6060

Cadet
Re: Where to buy a ppwer pack for a 1977 55hp johnson?

So how does the power pack get a signal to fire the coils? I searched about doing a conversion but didnt find alot of helpfull advice. Wondering if its points or something else. If its points then I think I can figure out how to use a breakerless conversion off of a car and some newer automotive coil's. Anyone got any good info?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

click me

Few things automotive survive a marine environment.

I am aware of no compatable systems that could be adapted. There are no points under the flywheel. The triger picks up a sudden shift in the magnetic field created by the spinning flywheel. That tells the power pack when and where to fire.

Triggers are probably the most reliable component in an ignition system followed by the coils. Other components are far more likely to fail. But the coils do have a knack of developing cracks in the outer plastic shell and that can cause a coil failure when moisture invades.

iwombat

Captain

you could probably work out something if you wanted to adopt a "wasted spark" kind of ignition. I think that would probably be a really bad way to go for a 2-stroke engine though.

Modern electronic ignitions work similar to the way an outboard power pack works by reading pulses from a magnetic pick-up. However, the coil then works with a distributor to only fire spark in the appropriate hole. Now, where would you adapt a distributor? You could fire all the holes at the same time (wasted spark) and only the cylinder with fuel would fire, IF combustion was efficient and complete and left no unburned fuel hanging around. I don't think that's very likely.

So, until you figure out where to drive a cap & rotor I think you're kinda hooped on figuring out an adaptation.