1995 40 HP Mercury Trim/Tilt issue

kwood0527

Recruit
Okay, well i'm an idiot. I was out on the water with my husband and saw that there were wires to the Trim/Tilt that were exposed. I decided that it was a great time to tape them up since I wasn't doing anything but getting sun and my husband was perfectly content fishing and catching nothing. So, the plastic or rubber that normally surrounds a wire was sooo dry rotted that most of it was gone. There was a little bit in between the two wires that was preventing them from touching, but apparently not enough. I went ahead and taped them together..thinking I was taking preventative measures. Nope, actually I made matters worse. Apparently there was alot more of the wires touching than I thought...so I am guessing that I shorted it out. So, now the Tilt/Trim won't work at all. It makes a clicking noise when the button is pushed but nothing moves. Is it possible that a fuse blew? How expensive is the fix? What can be done to fix it and get us back out on the water?
The motor is a 1995 40 HP Mercury Tracker 4 stroke.

HELP?

kwood0527

Recruit
Re: 1995 40 HP Mercury Trim/Tilt issue

Sorry,
I didn't understand that. Fuse are motor? Not sure what that means. Is there a fuse that can be replaced on the tilt/trim? If so, where is that fuse? Is not, what should I do?

Help?

JUSTINTIME

Captain

check for a fuse first there is one look around

kwood0527

Recruit

Is there a separate fuse for the Tilt/Trim? I know where the fuse is for the motor itself, but where is the fuse for JUST the Tilt/Trim?

If you could be descriptive that would be great...i'm not sure what I am looking at when I take the hood off....so the more you describe the easier it will be for me to follow what you are talking about.

Thanks.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should be a fuse by all of the other electrical connections under the "hood." Check that first.

kwood0527

Recruit

Okay,
I checked the fuse that is visible as soon as you remove the hood. That seemed to be fine. Is there another fuse that I can't see that has to to with the tilt/trim? The motor runs fine, its just the tilt/trim...it just clicks when I hit the button.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

try swaping the relays
if not u need to try to put 12V to the blue or green wire

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your 1995 Bass Tracker has a fuse box right in front of your knee sitting at the drivers seat.It's a black cover on the side right in front of the throttle shifter.pull it out a little and it has a pin on top and one on the bottom.Just pull them out.fuses are in there.Before you replace the fuse fix your wiring problem before you burn something else up.Good Luck

mthieme

Captain

I went ahead and taped them together.

Back up just a minute....when you say you taped them together - together being a key word here - can you verify that the wires are taped up separately? as opposed to having exposed positive and negative wires taped (literally) together?