I live above a star, and yet I never burn,
I have eleven neighbors, and yet none of them turn,
I am visited in sequence, first, last or in between,
PRS (& sometimes Q) are my initials,
Now, tell me what I mean.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: rid

You leave your hunting lodge going due South 5 miles.
Turn and go due West 5 miles.
You shoot a bear and drag it due North back to the lodge.
What color is the bear?

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?

There are a mess of them - one is:
restarted
restated
restate
estate
state
sate
ate
at
a
:p

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK - here's a boat-related one.

A mother, father and 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

ok whacky guess
tie one end of rope to the boat and kids row over father then pulls boat back and mother rows over then father pulls boat back then he rows over

aspeck

Staff member

OK - here's a boat-related one.

A mother, father and 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?
2 kids row over, one rows back, mom rows over, kid rows back, 2 kids row over, kid rows back, dad rows over, kid rows back, two kids row over. And then the kids complain about child labor laws and sue their mom and dad who lose custody of the kids and they go into foster care. It is a mean family that gets them, just for the money, and no one wins. So they should never have crossed the river to begin with ... :D

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2 kids row over, one rows back, mom rows over, kid rows back, 2 kids row over, kid rows back, dad rows over, kid rows back, two kids row over. And then the kids complain about child labor laws and sue their mom and dad who lose custody of the kids and they go into foster care. It is a mean family that gets them, just for the money, and no one wins. So they should never have crossed the river to begin with ... :D

Ohhhh...that's a real knee slapper, Art. :D
(Your first line is the correct answer, BTW)

Just exactly how much do they give you for foster care? That may be a good racket to fund my retirement! :p

aspeck

Staff member

What is black and white and red all over?

ob

Admiral

Here's one that I posted on here some years back.JB got it right off,so he is exempt from answering.:D

A guy is weeping over a casket at a funeral.Another person asks him who the deceased man was to him.and he replied
" brothers and sisters I have none,but that mans father was my fathers son."

Who is that man?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

here's mine: Feed me and I live, but give me a drink and I die. What am I?

ob

Admiral

I think I'll be fine.

A man on a safari comes to a fork in the road.He doesn't know which road to take.At the entrance to each fork is a tribesman.One road leads to the good camp and one leads to the cannibal camp.One of the tribesman always tells the truth and the other always lies.The man just doesn't know which is which.What one question could the man ask either tribesman and be assured that he was being steered away from the cannibal camp.