Starting Procedure for VRO Motor

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice
What is the proper procedure for starting a motor with VRO? My old motor was pre-VRO and all I had to do was prime the fuel system, choke, and go.

I've been told that I will need to squeeze the primer bulb on the VRO tank with my new motor before priming the fuel system. Is this the case?

I don't have the owner's manual for the motor, because I bought it used.

Thanks,

Joe

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting Procedure for VRO Motor

Squeezing the bulb has not changed you still need to do that to get fuel to the fuel pump and float bowls.

No more chokes, which primed the engine for cold starts, now you have a primer solenoid which diverts some fuel from the fuel pump and injects it directly into the intake.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What is the proper procedure for starting a motor with VRO?

I've been told that I will need to squeeze the primer bulb on the VRO tank with my new motor before priming the fuel system. Is this the case?

Do NOT squeeze the primer ball on the VRO tank !!!!

Only squeeze the ball on the fuel line before starting the motor.

How about telling us which year and hp motor that you have as there are different starting procedures depending on the model.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that....

It's a 1985 Johnson 115. VRO has been updated to a 3-Wire. I'm looking to get a NEW OMS pump in there, but money is tight.

I am using my old 1977 Power Pilot with the choke "switch".

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Use the choke switch to drive the primer solenoid. You should hear it click.

There are different opinions on when to use the switch. I squeeze the bulb, then hit start and primer switch at the same time.

Most of the people on this forum squeeze the bulb, then push the switch while in the run position for a count of 5 to 10, and then hit the start switch.

Experiment a little and you will find the best method for your setup.​

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

And then, I should also follow Seahorse's advice and NOT squeeze the primer bulb on the VRO tank, right?

Why is there a primer bulb on the VRO? Is it just for making sure there are no air pockets?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The primer bulb on the VRO is there to prime it up after the system has been serviced. No need to pump the oil primer bulb and it is not recommended as Seahorse suggested

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

One more question:

Is there a "proper" place to locate the VRO tank? My boat was not designed to accept one, so I'm having to scramble to figure out where to put it. I'm thinking about under or around the drivers' seat (a front/back seat).

Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Locate the oil tank as close to the engine as possible and keep the hose as short as reasonably possible.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

The best I'm going to reasonably be able to do is about 4-5 feet of hose from the tank to the motor...there's just nowhere else to put the tank.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe