Spark Plug Indexing

msp1330

Recruit
I have a 2006 E-Tec 90hp. I need to replace the plugs and am researching the indexing of the plugs. Is it acceptable to use shim washers to get the index mark to line up with the cylinder head pin. I am looking at the article from boatsetup.com that says do not use washers and another site I found says to use washers. Thank you.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spark Plug Indexing

so how are you to index the plugs without washers?

Are you suppose to buy 50 sparkplugs until you get four or six that will have the ground electrode in the right spot?

If this is the article http://boatsetup.com/PlgIndex.pdf
it says to apply more torque.
I can see a lot of cracked cylinder heads in the future.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I have a 2006 E-Tec 90hp. I need to replace the plugs and am researching the indexing of the plugs. Is it acceptable to use shim washers to get the index mark to line up with the cylinder head pin. I am looking at the article from boatsetup.com that says do not use washers and another site I found says to use washers. Thank you.

Well, if you read the factory service manual and talk to trained techs, you will find out very quickly NOT to use washers to index the plugs, no matter what some stranger says on the internet.

This link http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndexing.html shows the correct way to do it. Start on page 3 for your particular engine.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Go waste time and money buying Lotto Tix instead..​

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I tend to agree indexing is a waste of time for the everyday boater.And if careless could result in major repair if not at install at removal.
What if any factual info do we have that indexing results in measureable improvement in performance?And how much?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's required for Etec's and is not about about increased performance, just proper combustion and combustion temps.

DHPMARINE

Captain

YEE HAA.

Nascar (Nextel) mechs index plugs also.

But it wont make a difference ??

DHP

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude said to just swap the plugs around for the best overall fit. You do have a fairly large range for the plug to sit, as long as the side electrorde was not sheilding the plug gap from the injector spray. There also was a torque range the gave some leeway too

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

YEE HAA.

Nascar (Nextel) mechs index plugs also.

But it wont make a difference ??

DHP

In a NASCAR race, a tenth of a second can win you a race so they may do it just in case.

I have many friends that race that says the practice is worthless.

No proof that it does anything. The air temperature difference from one dyno run to another would cause more difference in power.

Last edited:

DHPMARINE

Captain

Kinda hard to reply to anyone who dosn't want to run 100% .But we all have our goals.

I've never read anything saying indexing is not needed.

And I have to believe that the electrode has to face the injector to be maximized.

An E-Tec also has an optimum ignition point.

DHP