Better Boat This Time Around

Jamepc

Seaman
Well we are in the market for another used boat. Our last one was an 18' Chris Craft bow rider. The floor, stringers and side panels all eventually rotted away but I'm to blame for most of it. This time around we would like a v bottom deck boat, around 20'. Are there any manufacturers that use composite material for the stringers, side panels, cushion backs (anywhere wood is usually used), etc.? Basically something that if accidentally left in the rain wouldn't rot out?
Any opinions on different brands are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
James

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Better Boat This Time Around

I can't speak for all of their boats as I do not know, but my Larson doesn't have 1 piece of wood in it. It was one of the reasons I bought it...

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Aluminum boats have aluminum stringers and deck. Aluminum wont rust, bust or collect dust.:redface: And, there are some pretty nice aluminum fish n ski boats out there that would make a great family boat. Look at the ones like Lund, Sylvan, Alumicraft, or even the tracker Targa.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The "wood free" game is played mostly by bowriders and fishing boats. I expect you will have to look long and hard to find a 20' deckboat without wood. When you do, it will certainly be a newish design, not a boat from the '90s.

Kelly

ziggy

Admiral

ya, i got had by my ol boat too. stringers. if ya look around and search. theres pleanty of new boats w/o wood in them. the triumph ads are pretty funny but get the point across. i happen to find a 75 w/o wood......i didn't want wood either......the wood strings on my ol boat bummed me out.....