Brittle vinyl

jmoorepghpa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The interior of our '76 Cobalt is in great shape. The vinyl is not cracked or faded anywhere but it does feel a little hard and brittle. I guess this is to be expected as it is 31 years old. I know vinyl is a petroleum product and as it outgasses it gets brittle over time. I have heard that some of the products out there make it look good for a little bit but don't do much to soften and restore it and may even damage it more in the long run. I am willing to pay for whatever I need if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm not set on a one step product either--- if I have to clean, condition then protect so be it.

jmoorepghpa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Brittle vinyl

Thanks-- I think I'll try the 3M I have a lot of confidence in their products and it sounds like it works for you. Not dismissing what you said Bruce but I think I gotta try something. I'm really afraid when we start using the boat the stuff just isn't flexible enough to hold up. Right now at 65 degrees its as hard as it should be on say a 20 degree day. Wish me luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It may be ok. I would put it on one area first before I put it on everything...just to see how it goes. Unfortunately, it probably takes awhile to see the effects.

salty87

Commander

303 uv protectant will protect what's left. my vinyl is in the same condition as you describe.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently found out how brittle the upholstery was in my 72 Glassmaster when I stepped onto one of the seats during our recent cold snap. I heard a cracking sound and sure enough, where I put my size 11 is a spiderweb of cracks where there were none before. Looks like I'm going to be replacing my seats and boxes this spring.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I recently found out how brittle the upholstery was in my 72 Glassmaster when I stepped onto one of the seats during our recent cold snap. I heard a cracking sound and sure enough, where I put my size 11 is a spiderweb of cracks where there were none before. Looks like I'm going to be replacing my seats and boxes this spring.

Yep, that's the way my whole body feels when it's cold out. "Older" age is sure a beotch!:mad:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Formula 303 is the best thing to use.Repeated use will be your best action.It aint cheap but it is the best.Armor-all is the worst choice.Charlie

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I noticed the other day that the local Walmart is now selling the 3M 303 in the boating section...I think it was about 5 bucks. A bottle goes a long way..

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any of the 3M stuff is the goods! I didn't realize Wally-land was carrying it, but I'll keep an eye out for it for sure. Let us all know if you get the results I think you'll be getting with it!

Hey Gary - you ever make the trek to Jocassee\Keowee\Hartwell? About the farthest I get your way is Wylie - but, of course, I've been up in Norman once or twice. If you ever want a fishing and\or lake guide for the big lakes in SC, look me up!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Will do,Always wanted to fish Hartwell.Looks so nice when you cross it on I-85.I never fished any SC lakes but would love to.Sounds like a weekend plan this summer...:D

jmoorepghpa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will get some 303....... I was just at Wal-Mart..... should have read the forum before I left. Thanks 2 everyone for the tips.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used Simoniz vinyl cleaner and protector. I never realized how dirty my white seats actually were. It worked amazing. I tried soap and armour all before and the seats would not come clean. I decided to spend the extra money and buy the proper stuff. Wow, I am so glad I did, The seats look better than when I got the boat.

They also had a similiar product made by Maguire's. These were at CanadianTire in the boating department.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gary, you should try Lake Wateree in upstate SC. It's 13,700 acres and is only an hour south of Charlotte. I'm vacationing on the lake in June.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Bill,My boat stays in Charlotte so that would not be a bad drive.I drive an hour to go to my usual lake anyway.I don't go to norman,,too crazy!