Different trailer hook-up

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting ready to buy a used boat. My old boat trailer uses a flat 4-pin plug. It's your basic trailer -- no brakes or anything.

The new (to me) trailer has disc brakes, but I believe they only work if the boat disconnects from the tow vehicle. Then, the brakes engage to help stop the trailer. This trailer has a large round plug with six slots and a center hole. Since my tow vehicle only has the falt 4-pin, what will I need to do in order to make things compatible?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Different trailer hook-up

It Sounds like the new trailer has a RV type Plug,........

Ideally,.... you should rewire the Tow unit to Match the trailer.......

dragon3711

Recruit

The new trailer has 6 pins due to the need for the reverse lockout when backing disc surge brakes. This web site could help.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx

Or just do a search for trailer wiring on google. There is a lot of information on the web about this subject.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I think you are misunderstanding how the brakes work on the new trailer. You first need to determine if they are electric or hydraulic (more commonly called surge brakes). Surge brakes are easy to identify as the coupler has a brake master cylinder built into it. Electric brakes use a conventional trailer coupler. For electric brakes, you need an electric brake controller inside the vehicle. Either way, it appears you need some help sorting this out.

Bondo

Staff member

Hmmmmm........ I've Yet to see Electric Disc Brakes......... Drums Yes, But Not Discs.....

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice

The guy who sold me the boat is dropping it off on Saturday. So, I will try and get more info about the trailer and maybe take some pics, as well. I know one thing for sure, behind the coupler, there is a round plate, that needs to be turned clockwise whenever I want to back the trailer up. I believe this disengages the brakes. When I'm trailering the boat, the plate is supposed to be turn back to it's original position.

FYI -- This is a 1995 Ranger trailer for a 19'3" bass boat.

I will try and get more info this weekend.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Oops -- Got so engrossed with the fact that "they work only when the trailer gets disconnected" that I missed the disc brake bit. But I believe there is an electro-hydraulic system available. Haven't seen one but now that I brought it up, I'll see what I can find.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

For a boat trailer of that size it is most likely the hyd. disc surge brakes with manual lockout valve for backing up.

Those electric operated hyd. disc brakes are sweet but are the high-end set-up for trailer brakes.

Get the tow vehicle wired for the new trailer but leave the current trailer wiring intact and operational.

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice

For a boat trailer of that size it is most likely the hyd. disc surge brakes with manual lockout valve for backing up.

That sounds about right jeeperman.

So, to get my vehicle wired, can I just switch out the 4-pin flat plug with a elect. plug that works with the trailer? Or would my vehicle require some additional wiring along with switching to the correct plug?

Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have the electric/hydraulic brake set up on my trailer. Here is what a unit looks like:
brake.jpg

I have a feeling you don't have one of these. The breakaway system on this type is a cable that pulls on a switch that causes a battery on the trailer to apply the brakes...just like an electric brake set up.

The thing that you turn on yours is probably a valve that prevents fluid from the master cylinder to be sent back to the brakes.

Bondo

Staff member

Or would my vehicle require some additional wiring along with switching to the correct plug?

Ayuh,.....

You'll need somemore Circuits to make everything Work.......

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would keep the 4-way plug you have for future use of a trailer needing it.
Add the wiring for the new trailers plug requirement.
Some wires will be spliced in upstream of the 4-way and some wires will have to be added.

You will have to determine if the new trailer has a solenoid activated or a manual lockout for when you want to back-up.

Coors

Captain

Just splice a wire to your back-up lights, to dis-engage disc brakes for backing up.

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, here's an update. Currently the brakes don't even work on this trailer. I talked to the local boat marina repair man who's always been good to work with on my last boat. He said it would be expensive to have the brakes on my trailer fixed and he'd probably need to replace just about everything. He also said that trailer brakes tend to go out after 3 yrs. He said given that my boat is only 19' and around 1400lbs, it's really not critical to have trailer brakes and it's not required by Wisconsin law either, supposedly.

So, if it were his boat, he would leave the brakes alone and change the 7-pin plug on the trailer to a 5 or 4-pin, which is the way most trailers are these days.

Any thoughts on this advice?

I am going to enclose pics of the trailer tongue for reference. I have a question. There is a long braided wire attached to the coupler. What is that for and what should the other end be attached to?

Thanks for the help!