replacing wires 115hp merc

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 1969 merc and the batterie connectors are missing all of there covers they cracked mcan i replace just the positive and negative leads?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: replacing wires 115hp merc

When you say battery connectors, what exactly do you mean by that?

It is a good idea to replace any wiring that looks suspicious; for example, charred or cracked insulation, corroded ends, etc.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

the two cables going to the battery on the external harness

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

and also my distributor has 3 leads going from it to some box they have got cracked plastic on them i have got 3 of these motors all from around 1970s would it be ok to put one of my other distributors on there

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Easy to replace the distributer wire, just make new ones. Not sure about switching the whole units though, but with more info on what year and models, someone here would know. I'd just do the wires as its so simple. On the batt leads off the harness, slice off what you have to to get to good wire. Get some new 8 gauge wire, butt connectors, and new cable ends. Tape up and your done. I'll post a pic in a second, as I am working on one right now. The wires are not connected yet, as I need to go to town and get some butt connectors

S5301747.jpg

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help i wasnt sure if i could join them or get a new harness that helps heaps saves me $200 and with my motors they are all the same just ones a redband one a blue and one a silver they are all from the 70's i was thinking it might be a good idea to swap the whole distributor beacause the other one is in better condition throughout might sove some future problems

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

You may be able to swap the entire distributer. Just do yourself a favor and get a service manual. The timing on these motors is key to thier success. Too far advanced, and you have a 350lb anchor.