fuel shut off valve

aaronvan

Cadet
Hello,Sorry for asking such a simple little question,but what kind of trouble could I run into by not having a fuel shut off valve?
thanks
Aaron

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel shut off valve

just another joint to leak, and place to clog. a lot of builtin tanks, have valves to switch tanks,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

None -- unless the tank is higher than the engine and the anti-siphon valve doesn't work or has been removed.

aaronvan

Cadet

Thanks for the replies,
I dont know why but i had it in my head that not having/useing your shutoff would mess up the needle valve or something along those lines.
I have a 3.3 mariner and the tank sit's higher than the carb and there isnt a anti siphon valve.Im still ok right?
Thanks Again
Aaron

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What 3.3 Mariner (3.3 HP maybe??). If you have a motor with a built-in tank by all means use the fuel shut off. Fluids run down hill. Should the inlet needle valve in the carb stick open every drop of gas in the tank will run straight into the engine and could possibly hydro lock the engine. If this is not an engine with a built-in tank I can't fathom how the fuel tank could possibly sit higher than the carb although if the fuel line connection at the engine was lower than the fuel tank regardless of engine size, then that could be a problem as a siphon could happen in that scenario.

aaronvan

Cadet

Yes it is a 3.3HP with a internal tank.The needle valve was sticking and quite a mess was made.
So a new petcock is needed,thanks for the advise silvertip and everyone else
Take Care
Aaron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need the shutoff valve for when you lay the engine down when off the boat. You could have the fuel leak out the carb because the float is not in the correct position to shut the fuel off.

aaronvan

Cadet

Well I just installed a new fuel valve,took the needle valve out also and scraped off some green goop that was stuck in the little ridges,puit her in a tank and away she went,I did notice a little exaust and a small amount of water coming from where the shifter is located,if I put a little pressure on the shifter it stops.I doesnt seen like too much of a problem,but i wanted to run it by you guy's.Also I noticed a bit of gas dripping from the lower leg somewhere when I took the motor out of the tank,I assume this is left over from yesterday when the needle valve stuck and drained 1/2 a tank on my floor and all through my motor.
I flushed the motor in a tank for about 15min's hoping to clean it out.
Take Care
Aaron