Acrylic Pole Light

rivrrunner

Recruit
New here, so apololgies if this is wrong place to ask this. I have an older boat that came with an acrylic (i think) stern light. The bulb is in the deck mount and the pole set in and is held with a thumb screw. When turned on, light traveled up thru the pole to the globe. Some low hanging branches snapped it off last time out and the river claimed it. I've searched about everywhere I know to look and can't seem to find anything remotely similar. Any ideas where else to look, who might have made it, etc? Am starting to wonder if it was custom made by previous owner...Any & all ideas welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Acrylic Pole Light

45 years of boating an never seen anything like it. sounds like an led christmas tree.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting! Good luck on yer search! May need to convert it to a standard type o removable stern lite mast if the base is close to the same size.Replace the base,plug in new pole lite,go fish!

rivrrunner

Recruit

Thanks to all! Was afraid this was "the one that got away"...having a fiber optic shop build me another one (OUCH). Could easily replace with a standard type - but that's not nearly as fun...!!!
Happy boating 8)

Boating is a misdemeanor - the more I miss, Da' Meaner I get!!

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

PLEEZE! Send us a picture of the boat & cool light!

studlymandingo

Commander

ditto on the pic... otherwise your next picnic will be invaded by hungry ants!

reelfishin

Captain

I saw one once that was sort of similar to what you describe, it was on an early 80's aluminum bass boat, I believe it was a Grumman hull.
The bulb sat in the base, then the tube was merely chrome or mirrored on the inside, with a small white dome or lense. I seem to think that bulb was secured to it's socket with a screw or clamp. I remember having to mess with it to get it to work, and after all the trouble ended up replacing it anyhow since it wasn't very bright. The chrome plating inside the tube which reflected the light upward sort of like a periscope was faded or dull and barely any light made it up to the top. The entire stick sort of glowed at night at each end. I think tube was either pvc or some sort of plastic, and the globe was a short, tapered white plastic piece that only rose above the tube about a 1/2" and was about 1.5" across.
It was on an old boat that I bought for the motor and resold with a smaller motor on it, I only had it for a few weeks. I remember thinking that the lower bulb mount was a good idea until I powered it up and saw how poorly it worked. When I found it the tube was full of mud wasp nests, the years spent with them living inside took it's toll on the plating. I don't remember a brand, but it reminded me of those battery powered lights you buy in Xmart in quality. If I had been keeping that boat, I would have tossed it in favor of a normal light and socket. Yours sounds different if it actually uses fiberoptic strands?
What yours sounds like it fiber optic emitting cable or strands, it's not all that expensive and its been used for years in automobiles and buses. Many rear or remote turn indicators use it. See eBay item 150009237515.
A local hobby shop may even have it, if not a place like Radio Shack.
Its only as bright as it's source, and some sort of reflector is usually needed to make it light up an indirect object like a light globe. The light emitted is directional so to speak.
Post some pics when you get the light back and working.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I seem to remember seeing them in my youth late 50s or early 60s.
You might watch ebay.Maybe you could make one up with acrylic rod.
Maybe have someone turn the globe for the top.
check the base for a brand name.

rivrrunner

Recruit

YIPPEE!!! After frustration with the optic shop (non-boating types can be SO dense), gave up on them and got creative.
Found raw materials and built my own. Let there be light!!
Will post pic as soon as I get my camera back.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

are you going to share it with us, or patent it.

sunivroc

Recruit

I'd love to find someone's solution to a missing/broken pole light.

I have a 12' Whirlwind Junior (1958) that came with a 3/4" diameter acrylic flag pole. There is a small light under the mount that illuminates the pole and the cap -- and the guy who sold me the boat told me that it is tough to find a boat that still has the pole light. (I've also seen it referred to as a "glow pole.")

To make a long story short, I took the boat under a low bridge -- forgetting to take off the pole. It snapped off at the stub-end and sank to the bottom.

I'd like to find an appropriate replacement.

Sunivroc

Attachments

• Flag Pole.jpg
    Flag Pole.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0