85 johnson ran on 2 cylinders then 4 now no spark

elabp

Recruit
i have an old 85 johnson. 74 model, ran great. then started running on 1 bank of cylinders intermittently. now has no spark at all. have changed power pack still no spark. also have used isolator start box to take out console control module.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 johnson ran on 2 cylinders then 4 now no spark

Have you disconnected the black and yellow wire at the powerpack?

Check for spark with all plugs out, using a spark tester similar to the one shown here:

http://www.iboats.com/Cdi_Spark_Gap...55660691--list_time.1175392624--view_id.38089

You can make something as simple as a piece of wood with nails, as long as you can set the gap at 3/8 or more.

You should see a strong blue snappy spark.

Make sure the grounding straps are clean and tight as well as the ground wires on the ignition coils.

Remember that you need 300 RPM to fire that motor, so you have to get your battery fully charged and make sure the battery cables are in great shape.

One last item; take a look under the flywheel and make sure nothing looks melted up there.

elabp

Recruit

sir used a similar product>>>> didnt see any spark>>>> does the runing on 2 lead me to anything..... will charge the battery up...300 thanks for that

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Only two coils firing would lead me to recheck all of the wiring and swap the ignition coils to see if the problem follows the coils before I bought another powerpack. Bad coils are known to fry powerpacks.