help with evenrude motor

bekynfrkme

Cadet
HI i have an evenrude motor 70 horse.. it spits out gas from the chambers on the carburator.. I have changed all the gaskets and floats, put in a new carb kit in all 3, but it still does the same thing..
the top carb has a number on the side of 322292 and the other 2 carbs have numbers of 323707.. does this make a differnce?? what is the problem,, can someone give me any info.. thanks...............becky

Walker

Captain
Re: help with evenrude motor

Spitting gas out the carb throats is an indication of problems with your reeds not sealing.

bekynfrkme

Cadet

ok what are reeds?? im not that familar with boats..
where are they located ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what year is the motor or the model #, usually the top and bottom carb are the same number, and the center is different, but need to verify for your particular engine. also edit you original title "spit gas out of carb 70 hp 19--" year

bekynfrkme

Cadet
Re: spit gas out of carb evenrude 70 hp 1979-1980

Re: spit gas out of carb evenrude 70 hp 1979-1980

it is a 1979 or 1980.. the top number is different and the middle and bottom numbers are the same on this one.. the top carb seems to be a bit bigger then the other too also..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is gas coming out of the intake opening or some opening on the body?
Is the gas spitting out or dripping?
If it is actually spitting out you may have a reed problem.
It sure doesn't seem likely that all 3 carbs would have float/flooding problems.
Not knowing the year of your motor difficult to know about the carbs.But early models the top and bottom carbs were the same and the middle different.Apparently regarding linkage assemblies.
figure OM14-2 parts 11-20.

bekynfrkme

Cadet

the gas is dripping out the top carb not the other 2.. its a 1979..

bekynfrkme

Cadet

ok being that the top carb number is the one that is different, could i change them around??
we just got this boat last year from a neighbor so we are not familiar with them too much..
i sure do appreciate all ya ll help..

fulghum

Recruit
Re:hp & year help with evenrude motor

Re:hp & year help with evenrude motor

Ihave an evinrude motor with serial # 189020-E08444.
can anyone help find the year & hp ?
thanks !!!

bekynfrkme

Cadet

ok we switched the carbs around and it dont leak as much but it does still leak.. what now?? any suggestions??
someone said something about the reed not sealing.. what is the reed ? where is this located ?? any help???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if gas is dripping it is over flowing. the carb float is set too high. take the carb off, take the bowl off, turn the carb upside down. then float top and bottom should be inline with the metal base of the carb. if not adjust. if it is in line, then there is crud in the needle seat, or the seat or needle is bad. the needle has to sit securely and cleanly on the seat, in order to stop the flow of gas from the fuel pump.