79 merc

dan valders

Cadet
thanks for all the suggestions about the carbs this week, they are working great "except" where the linkedge connects to the next carb down, it seems that the fuel is drippin down that, not a whole lot but enough, after going through the carbs at least 3 times to get them working right, that lil leak has me scratching my head.
thanks.

dan valders

Cadet
Re: 79 merc

tea i did check the seals but the guy at the boat stoer said there aint no seals there and that the fuel that is comming down there should be getting burnt, cuz it's right there at the throat. its not that bad," but"

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is a plastic seal at the bottom of the carb where the linkage hooks up. I had a problem with one of mine as my daughters put in in a continer i hade filled with carb cleaner and it got all distorted. once it dried it was back to normal. but there should be a seal there. it runs through the bowl if i am not mistaken. i do not have a grawing to look at or post from this computer but you should have the same carb as the parts break down that laddes posted to me on 79 80hp won't start. search for posts started by duff and you can find it.

good luck keep us posted on the progress. I am still fighting a carb issue on my top carb. lack of fuel coming out. maybe a stuck float or something like that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dan, I have never seen a seal around the throttle plate on my '77 inline merc. They don't even have a replaceable bushing. If there is fuel dripping, it is either inconsequential in nature, or if greater than inconsequential, the floats are set too high or the inlet needles are leaking.

dan valders

Cadet

i'll get a pic of the part tomarrow, i took the boat to the lake yeasterday to give it a try, and i'm starting to find a lil more than just carb problems, (i think), but the motor ran pretty good wide open or at a cruizeing speed and at idle was ok, but when i put in in gear i had to go real slow for about 50 feet or it would die, kinda of a frustraiting day. i have the floats arms set flat and leavel. i'm not sure if i'm getting to much fuel or not enough on acceleration, and i'm getting great spark from th plugs, so i'll just keep plugging away on it .
thanks again for all your help
dan