Boating the Upper Chesapeake

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

were putting in thursday afternoon. I monitor 16 and 68 boat name lunesea

skargo

Banned

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you all, I haven't named the new boat yet, but my Nova is called the "Katie M." and it does have a radio that works on it I monitor 16 and 68, 69. I forget which..lol. We leave tomorrow night and will be out on the water Thurs through Monday. Hope to see some of you out there.....yeah, even you Scott. lol We like to anchor right across from Cara Cove...nice sandbar there.

We will be down for the Holiday weekend too. I can't wait, I need a break from all the house renovations right now.

Should be down Friday night to Monday morning sometime. Plan on being on the boat as much as possible.

We will be at North East's and Havre De Grace's firework displays.

We will have the VHF with us and you can hail us as "Nauti Fun". I normally monitor 16 and 9.

Hoping to meet up with a few of you guys this weekend!

were putting in thursday afternoon. I monitor 16 and 68 boat name lunesea

Love the names guys, can't wait to see you all.

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

Why don't you use the ramps at Stemmer's run, it only cost you $5.00 and they have a great parking area and it's right across from Turkey Point Light House.
Look at all the gas you will save. I use it all the time.

I may have to try that one. As far as gas, it may be a wash. I tow my boat with a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee that gets terrible mileage without the boat.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I never thought the NE river was much or a river, more just like a big cove.
It is really shallow, and i don't think you can go much more than a half mile up it.
Can you go all the way to the town of north east on it?

I might just try to watch those firsworks from my marina in HDG.
I have a 4 ft draft, and don't want to mess with that shallow river, If you can even call it a river.

skargo

Banned

I never thought the NE river was much or a river, more just like a big cove.
It is really shallow, and i don't think you can go much more than a half mile up it.
Can you go all the way to the town of north east on it?

I might just try to watch those firsworks from my marina in HDG.
I have a 4 ft draft, and don't want to mess with that shallow river, If you can even call it a river.

It's much longer than a 1/2 mile. We go to the town of North East all the time, A channel runs all the way to town, at the Nauti-Goose essentially. We eat there often.The mouth is from Carpenter's point to Red point, which in itself is a couple miles wide. I'd guess there is 5 miles of navigable water for power/sail boats. Heck, Cara cove itself is 1/2 wide and a 1/2 mile deep.
North East has a nice town park with free docking too!
Do you have charts? I see plenty of boats that draw a lot more than yours going all the way to NE.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey gang, we're thinking about exploring the upper Chesapeake this Saturday (trailering from NJ). We'll possibly launch in Charlestown.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to launch and where to sightsee/relax. It'd be great to meet some of you if you're out Saturday.

I've just ordered a handheld VHF and expect to receive it Friday so I should be able to hail you.

Pick a channel that we can hear you on. We'll be out on the water someplace around Turkey Point or Cabin John or Hacks Point most of Saturday and Sunday.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey gang, we're thinking about exploring the upper Chesapeake this Saturday (trailering from NJ). We'll possibly launch in Charlestown.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to launch and where to sightsee/relax. It'd be great to meet some of you if you're out Saturday.

I've just ordered a handheld VHF and expect to receive it Friday so I should be able to hail you.

There is a free ramp in charlestown (Have to pay $7-10 for parking across the street). It's alittle shallow at low tide for 200-300 yards out, but just keep your drive up and it will be fine. Anchor Marine in North East would be alittle closer and about the same price with a nicer ramp and possibly access to showers, etc. I'm not sure about the showers so you should call ahead.

If you have kids, you can anchor at Seneca point (1/4 mile south of charlestown) or at the sand island in the Susquehanna river just south of HDG. Without kids you could use Cara Cove(2-3 miles south and opposite shore from Charlestown) or Lloyds creek on the Sassafrass river(always entertaining). Depending on the weather and tides going around Turkey point can be a rough ride but alot of it depends on your comfort levels.

The Nauti Goose in NE had a band playing on the deck last year and the food was not bad either. And the Wellwood in Charlestown while not "on" the water is very nice and you can dock at the marina to go for dinner.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks to Skargo, Silver Eagle and Billdc for the replies. We'll try to find you Saturday on channel 16.

We haven't named our boat yet, although my wife wants to call it "Mid-Life Cri-Seas". That's what I get for trying to start waterskiing again after age 50. :D

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

With a little luck I might be in the water Friday evening or Saturday morning!

I'm up almost at Trident Marina, 'bout as far as you can go up the Elk. I will be monitoring the VHF, so you can hail "Sunday Float. I'm waiting for the lettering to arrive, so nothing is on the boat right now. Definitely would like to meet up with a few of y'all who know the area.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I too will be out firday you can find me in the chesapeak city basin for the fireworks and then we'll also beout all day sunday. we're gonna check out HG for their fireworks.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Silver Eagle Where about in NewCastle do you live? Where do you keep/ drop in at?

skargo

Banned

We'll be out early Saturday as we have my nephew's birthday party at 4pm and will need to be off the water around 2. We are in the parade at HDG on Sunday, but immediately after we'll resplash the boat and head to our transient slip at Tydings to watch the fireworks. Not sure what pier we'll be on, but we requested 6. We will monitor 16/9 even when we are in the slip.
Last years fireworks were AWESOME.
Here's a sneak peak,

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=274027&id=554955651&l=010ca930f1

Video of the grand finale,
http://www.facebook.com/skargo?v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=230277505651

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Scott, that means that you are going to miss North Easts firework display!! Oh well, I am sure that we will catch you out there sometime this weekend!

Looking forward to catching up with everyone else.

Kyle, if you take the channel from HDG towards Turkey Point and then head North and follow that channel, you could sail right up to the end of the North East River. The no wake line at Nauti Goose normally has around 5' of water or more. Not sure how long of a sail it would be for you, but you cand do it if you choose. Although, you would probably be better off dropping the anchor and spending the night then.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all,
anyone planning on the fireworks in Middle River on Saturday? I will be out Thursday & Friday at Hart-Miller and that general area, have a grad party Sat day then hit the water around 7 for the fireworks on Middle River, having a cookout Sunday so will be on land all day, then will be on the Sand Island near HdG all day Monday :eek:)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the shallowest part of the back channel to the NE river is 3 ft.
so on an average high tide, it should be 5 ft.
there is only one point where it gets that shallow

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Yeah, if you are going to go the back channel from HdG to North East, you could run in to some draft problems there.

skargo

Banned

I'm glad I can finally run the inner channel thanks to Andrew(CaravelleCaptain), now I have to decide which one to take every time I go through.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

One of these times, I want to follow you through the outer channel to find out where it is at. See you on the water soon...

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

Putting in at about 7pm tonight with a few friends to go check out the Fireworks in Chesapeake city tonight.

Maxum, I'm putting in at Del City and heading to the basin. I'll look for your boat.