Towing 17' boat with mini van??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing 17' boat with mini van??

I would like to see that one pull it out at the ramp !!!

cenrique

Seaman

I have a SUV Mazda Protege v64WD, I am pulling a 17ft boat, boat seems to weight around 2100 lbs plus outboard and trailer, this SUV is rated to pull 3500 but unfortunately it did not come with the towing package. I am affraid i might break the Transmission, do you guys think i should worry about this?

Carlos

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a SUV Mazda Protege v64WD, I am pulling a 17ft boat, boat seems to weight around 2100 lbs plus outboard and trailer, this SUV is rated to pull 3500 but unfortunately it did not come with the towing package. I am affraid i might break the Transmission, do you guys think i should worry about this?

Carlos
I would check it out with a Mazda dealership but if it is rated at 3,500 lb then you should be in the "O.K." zone. Other than that you wont know till you try it.

rckyview

Cadet

I own an '03 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L and Tow package. I occasionally tow a 17' Invader that weighs in at about 2500 lbs (with trailer). I have not had any trouble either on the highway or the ramp.

IMO, a tranny cooler and a little patience are both critical....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I own an '03 Grand Caravan with the 3.8L and Tow package. I occasionally tow a 17' Invader that weighs in at about 2500 lbs (with trailer). I have not had any trouble either on the highway or the ramp.

IMO, a tranny cooler and a little patience are both critical....

Welcome rckview.
Thanks for the input. What kind of mileage is on the 03 Caravan ?? and how often and far do you tow ??

rckyview

Cadet

Kenmyfam;

It just rolled over 100k, I use it about 4-6 times a year, for trips up to about 300Km at a stretch.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great to hear it, especially with over 100,000 on it. The tranny cooler probably plays a big part in it.

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will tow it to the lake and into the water. but if your on a gravel ramp with an ammount of inclince, you could be in real trouble trying to get the boat out of the water. FWD is no good for pulling boats out of the water.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It will tow it to the lake and into the water. but if your on a gravel ramp with an ammount of inclince, you could be in real trouble trying to get the boat out of the water. FWD is no good for pulling boats out of the water.

I think that depends a lot on the type of ramp and ramp incline, I have had no trouble as yet at any ramp with ny outfit using FWD minivan.

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like I said, IF your loading up on a gravel ramp with a decent incline your gonna get stuck for sure. It all depends in the end on the wieght of your boat. Rear wheel drives and 4wd's are better for towing. Far safer as the weight is on the drive wheels. But yes you can do it.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I can't speak to the Caravan's tranny, but we have towed our 18ft Glastron (3.0L I/O) with our 2004 Kia Sedona. Its rated for 3,500 lbs., and all Sedona's come with large capacity coolers, tranny, ps, etc.

I have towed long distances with it (400 miles) in July heat, stop 'n go traffic, etc. No problems at all. I also have not had any issues with slippage at launch ramps, gravel or cement, but my van is considered heavy at 4,500 lbs, and the front traction control is a blessing too.

If you're smart about towing, and not pushing it, I would think you'd be fine.

I have also towed with an Astro. I did enjoy that van quite a bit, I liked the 3-part door in the rear, and the AWD was nice in the winter.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I see peopel towing boats with minivans all the time. the ONLy problem I saw personally is trying to recover the boat. One guycouldnt get up the launch ramp. i ended up taking his trailer on my truck and recovering his boat. the only reason I did it was because he didnt have any tow points up front I could use otherwise I woudl of just hooked up a tow strap and pulled him up the ramp. We were the only ones out that day at the launch ramp.
Rob

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think that the "know your ramp" is important. There are some ramps that I have seen that I would not use with my minivan. I dont know whether it would be an issue or not but am not willing to try. I will boat the extra couple of miles and use a ramp that I know rather than risk it !!

puddle jumper

Captain

I agrea with Bond-o.If you put weight on the rear of a front wheel drive you will loose traction with the front wheels.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I agrea with Bond-o.If you put weight on the rear of a front wheel drive you will loose traction with the front wheels.
Absolutely but if you keep the weight at the back of the boat till you are up and off the ramp you will minimise the weight loss on the front wheels. Then re arrange the load to get the correct tongue weight before heading off to the highway and your next destination.

puddle jumper

Captain

Kenny you also could beef up the rear springs or add air bags to the van to transfer weight to the front wheels also.When ever this subject comes up i always think of the Dodge Rampage.A front wheel drive minie truck that any time you would put something in the back you would loose traction on the front.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Kenny you also could beef up the rear springs or add air bags to the van to transfer weight to the front wheels also.When ever this subject comes up i always think of the Dodge Rampage.A front wheel drive minie truck that any time you would put something in the back you would loose traction on the front.
I agree with the beefing up of the rear springs but I usually just have someone at the back of the boat till I am up the ramp if it is a more difficult ramp. Quite honestly most of the ramps I use are just fine as is.