What year is my motor ???

prayharder

Cadet
It is a 115 HP Mercury I think it is a 1987 but I am not sure. I believe the S/N is 54 88608. But, I am not sure, if this is the S/N. I am not sure what the S/N plate looks like or where it is. Does anyone have a picture of what the plate looks like ? or where it is?

Thanks!
Ben

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: What year is my motor ???

Welcome to iboats!
By that # it's a 1979

There is a plate on the swivel bracket with the ser # and also on the engine block on the r/side looking at the motor from the rear

prayharder

Cadet

Okay, I think that I found the plate. The best I can read it says: B558942 ? My starter says that it was made 3/15/1988. So I am thinking that is what it is. Can anyone make out what they plate says for sure ? ( I haven't found it on the block yet. )

Attachments

• MotorSN.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 1

prayharder

Cadet

I am going to try to upload the picture again.

Attachments

• MotorSN.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 1

OldMercsRule

Captain

prayharder said:
It is a 115 HP Mercury I think it is a 1987 but I am not sure. I believe the S/N is 54 88608. But, I am not sure, if this is the S/N. I am not sure what the S/N plate looks like or where it is. Does anyone have a picture of what the plate looks like ? or where it is?

Thanks!
Ben

Hey Ben, I have a 1978 1150; and 1979 115 which do have the serial numbers where Plainsman states. My 1981 115 has the serial number on the starboard side of the motor bracket on a small tag, (not on the front under the powerhead just above the two hold down screws on the earlier engines). The 1981 only bolts through the transom and does not have the older style hold down screws. If you have an 1987 (which seems more likely here) the lack of the older slyle holdowns should be the first clue here. The 1987 was also rated at the prop (not the crankshaft) and therefore similar to an earlier pre 1982 140 HP or 1400, and would be a more disireable motor to have. Hope this helps you tell which you have. JR

prayharder

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Here is the pic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prayharder/429818569/[/url Ben

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's password protected Ben, so we can't see it.

PS: that B558942 is for a 1987 MERCRUISER MAGNUM ALPHA 454 MCII. :%
I doubt that is the right number

prayharder

Cadet

Okay, sorry about that. I didn't see the permissions on the picture. Now anyone can see it.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Wow that was hard for me to see. Take the cover off the power head and look where the crankcase bolts together for a serial number. I think it maybe on the port side, (not sure). JR ps How did you get that much corrosion on an Eastern Washington Motor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try carefully scraping those black marks off the SN plant either above or below the number and see what happens. If it comes of easily, try gently scraping over the SN a little at a time and see if you see the number.
Patience is what is needed here.

Also look for a core plug (aka Freeze Plug by many) on the block with the SN stamped in it.

prayharder

Cadet

I believe that the black is gas/oil that has gone down the backside of the plate and destroyed it. I will check and make sure that I can't scrap it off. I didn't want' to do much to it, to ruin it. I have a problem with my starter and it sure would be helpful to know what year it is. I will pull off the starter and look more for the stamped number. I will also take some pictures of the whole motor with it back together so you can see what the whole thing looks like.

As far as corrosion, I don't think there is much. I think that it is just dirt/oil. I will get it cleaned here as soon as it warms up.

Ben

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Her you are,
MERCURY 115 ELPTO
E- ELECTRIC
L- LONG, 20'
PT- POWER TRIM
Serial # 0B358942 model # 1115452BD was made on 05/04/1988 So it's a 1988 engine.

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry forgot the O,
O- oil injection