Really dumb merc 25HP question

jtomanelli

Cadet
Keep in mind I just bought my first Merc. (Had Johnson and OMC in the past).
I have a 25HP Merc 2 stroke (late 80s) with the tiller.
No problems starting and putting it into gear, but I don't know how to get it to rev in neutral. Tiller handle shows an arrow as if to pull it out, but it does not pull. :$

got to be doing something wrong.

HELP!?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Really dumb merc 25HP question

The arrow is probably there to show if the motor is in forward, neutral, or reverse. I am assuming the gear shift is part of the twist grip. Why do you want to rev it in neutral?

Go to a dealer and see if he has an owners manual for the engine that you could buy or order. Take the serial number with you

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are many 25 hp whats the serial number?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

No such thing as a dumb question. Whomever answers your question had to learn at one time themselves. Now it's your turn. 8)

Mark

DHPMARINE

Captain

Most (or lots of) tiller model Mercs that shift with the tiller handle,the only neutral speed increase is by turning the choke knob.

DHP

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

You don't have to pull it out to shift. It SHOULD only start in nuetral..when shifting, let the motor idle down and twist the handle to forward or reverse. Do it with a sharp twist, don't "ease" it in.

jtomanelli

Cadet

Guys, thanks for the feedback... and not making me feel stupid!

Don't have the motor near me (across the city) so I don't have the S/N handy, although I will try and get a manual for future reference.

As far as the shifting, I've got that no probs. The shifting is definitely accomplished by turning the tiller handle. But I'm thinking there must be no way to rev it in neutral?

Maybe these Mercs really are that good!?

My Johnson has the shifter on the side which has a neutral position, so this is easly accomplished. My OMC on my bigger boat is an I/O and this is accomplished by pulling on the control at the helm (decouples the shift cable).

For the record, I have had no need to actually do this yet (haven't had it in the water, cause the water is still ice up here). But with the muffs, it started after the 3rd pull.

JT

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Oh... No you can't really rev it up in nuetral. If you turn the primer knob clockwise it will fast idle it.

Chehalis

Recruit

Correct, can't rev it up in neutral, only control is turning the choke knob but that doesn't do much

jtomanelli

Cadet

Well that sucks.:/.. and as luck would have it, I had a hard time starting it on the weekend... mostly as a result of fouled plugs. Anyhow, I was able to start it and keep it running by removing the cover and reving it via the linkage

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just take the prop of when running it out of the water, then put it in gear and rev it up.
There is also adjustments to be made to make the primer knob and rpm work properly. The idle should go up to around 2K when adjusted properly. And if your plugs are fouled, so are the rings. Might be time for some Merc Power Tune, a tuneup and using the proper TCW3 oil.

jtomanelli

Cadet

Don, I will take your advice on the tune-up. What is this Merc Power Tune? tune-up in a bottle ? :$

BTW I did a compression test since I had the plugs out and got about 70 PSI. DOes this sound right?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

70 is pretty low. What was your procedure for checking the compression and what type of guage? If it truly is that low them maybe after you run the Power tune or Sea Foam thru it, it will clean carbon and unstick you rings. There is a how-to on De Carbing engines on this site..do a search and read it

jtomanelli

Cadet

Procedure was simply connect a compression testor into and crank over 2-3 times. Both cylinders are the same so I assumed this to be OK

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Take out both plugs, screw in your testor to one of the holes and crank it till the compression stops building, write it down and do the same on the other hole....sometimes it takes more cranks to get the reading. The good thing so far is that both are reading the same. I bet, if you get a can of sea foam and run it with a couple gallons of gas/oil mix, through the motor..stopping a few times and letting it sit for 15 minutes or so..the compression will come up. It will smoke like crazy if there is a lot of carbon/gunk in the motor.

Scarab1

Recruit

My late 80's Merc has a button on the shift knob.When depressed in neutral you can rev like a choke.Look for a rubber covered button on the lever.

jtomanelli

Cadet

Thanks guys, I will try that and see if compression gets better. Incidentally, the engine was cold when I tried it the first time. Also, something to note is that this thing doesn't smoke much... at all. Much less than I would expect for a 2 stroke