Can't separate OMC 3.8L from intermediate drive

crasea18

Recruit
I have an OMC stringer mount and I'm trying to pull out the engine for overhaul. I suspect the ball gear shaft is rusted at the flywheel. All the bell housing bolts are removed but I can't separate the engine from the intermedaite drive. I can't pull the ball gear shaft out the back either. In the book I have, under the section for pulling the shaft, it says (after trying a slide hammer) you may have to pull the engine first and drive the shaft out from that side. That doesn't make sense to me. If I cant pull the shaft, I can't pull the engine either. I must be missing something. Is there anything at the flywheel other than rust that could be holding this?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can't separate OMC 3.8L from intermediate drive

There is nothing else there once you have all the intermediate housing bolts out. It is hard to imagine that the ball gear shaft and coupler could be that rusted up. It was originally greased with an oring to help keep it in. You would think that the constant change of torque would keep the splines from freezing up. If memory serves me, the splined coupler is about 2" deep, if that.

Is there any seperation, at all, between the engine and the IM housing? Are there any points at which you could apply some levers on both sides? What year do you have and was it used in salt?

KaGee

Admiral

Try applying some heat to the bearing cap and surrounding intermediate. The sealant around the cap might be holding you back. A slide hammer should do it... just make sure it has some beef to it.

Reinellchris

Seaman Apprentice

had the same problem with 350/volvo 280
took a lot of prying back and forth ended up taking three days and a lot of wd40
good luck

crasea18

Recruit

Thanks for the replies.
It's a 1983 Avanti and I don't believe its been in salt water. I've done a little screwdriver tapping and at present have about 1/16" all around. I haven't used much force because I'm worried about that soft aluminum. I have, since my first post, talked to a local shop and they said they've had to get prybars and crowbars in there to get these loose. So.... I may just get a chance to try out some of my "magic metal" that can solder aluminum!
If I try the slide hammer route for pulling the shaft, (not my preferred choice since the gear is fine and I may be creating extra work) will I find the shaft to have a threaded hole under the cap or will I have to buy or make something to grip right behind the ball gear?

Oh and one last note to support the rust theory, I have a few reasons to suspect this boat was partially under water in the past, like some rotten wood, bad engine rings and the silt dust that I cleaned out of the carpeted sidewalls about half way up.

It'll be a few days before I can work on this again but thanks again for the help. I'll come back and post my woes or cheers.

whywhyzed

Banned

and don't rebuild anything...I've been trying to give away 3.8 crate engines....only had a couple of takers so far

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

giving away 3.8's.....well, heck...i need 2 of them....where do i pick up???

crasea18

Recruit

Success!!! Slide hammer, BIG slide hammer was the key. That and pounding the heck out of it for over an hour. (between rests) When it first started to move, I wasn't even sure it had moved. It was that little of a distance. And there was rust on the splines and the flywheel coupler.
Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey kjd......may be interested in 2 3.8's.....can you give me a price?.......i live in s.w. michigan....long drive!!!! but if price is right............

Tregaskis

Seaman Apprentice

kjdkjd,
On those crate 3.8's, I am buying a 1982 Sea Ray with twin 3.8 OMC's with about 1300 hrs on them. Getting a heck of a deal. How much are you wanting for a couple of your crate engines? Ship to California?

Thanks
Greg

Last edited:

KaGee

Admiral

Fendersfender... Check your PM's.... you can't beat the deal... seriously. Well worth your effort.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you all....kjdkjd and kagee, check your pm's and thank you very much