trouble starting/running 97 50ESL Rude

Hi all,
Just bought this boat & motor. Got it cheap cause I knew motor had trouble. Kid I bought from had carbs cleaned 2 years ago. let it sit a year, got left on lake dead...then I bought it - cheap! I checked the water pump, output appears to be ok on hose. Fuel has been stabilized and dewatered. Plugs are firing. I can start it ok now after reading some of your posts! It pays to just read!
But I still run rough, barely get it in gear and it dies. I do not see gas coming out of the carbs. But my plugs are wet every time I check/clean them. i think a carb rebuild and water pump are definitely called for...but i read something about reed valves? What name brand reed valve do you recommend? I may as well get them done while I have the carbs off. I do all of my own work, I have to - poorhouse and all... Please give any advise to a new to rude's semi-experienced shadetree mechanic.
thanks. God Blesses all good deeds
o:)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: trouble starting/running 97 50ESL Rude

Have you obtained a model specific service manual?

It really is not going to work for you without the manual, you will just spend money on parts you don't need.

If you can't afford a service manual then you can't afford gas and oil, so you might as well hang it up now. Go get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John...453QQitemZ330085614767QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Make sure every hose in the system is air tight, and then,

If you have the carburetors correctly synchronized, you will want to set the low speed needles; gently seated clockwise, then 3.5 turns out.

If necessary, adjust in small increments waiting at least 30 seconds or more for the engine to adjust.

thanks; I am already pursuing a manual. Maybe I could be better described as trying not to go to the poorhouse via boat woes!:love: i will get a manual before doing any adjustments. I have found and repaired several contributing factors. and the wiring harness was a mess. That is all fixed. Just trying to get motor going. i will be trying to run on local lake in morning using a SEAFOAM premix. Hopefully if the carbs are just dirty, this will help. I would still like to know more about REED valves?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Seafoam is excellent for getting carbon out of the firing chambers; On a two stroke it usually will do little or nothing for the carburetors. +o(

I guess I need to clean my carbs by hand then. Is the Seloc repair manual as good as the johnson original you refferred me to? Since i had looked on ebay beforehand, I thought I was already watching the same ad you referred to. When I just checked it, it was for a Johnson manual. I just bought the seloc an hour ago.

Still wondering about those Reed Valves? I cannot relocate the post that mentioned them, seems like one of you main guys preferred one brand.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ezeke, you are mistaken regarding SeaFoam use on carburetors. It is an excellent cleaning agent and can be run in every tank of fuel as a preventive measure in any engine, fuel injected or carbed. It is not just a decarb agent. Now back to the engine. You said you stabilized the fuel. If you simply poured stabilizer into year old fuel, you accomplished nothing. Stabilizer does not bring bad fuel back to life. Drain it, and refill with fresh fuel. Do not replace reed valves at this point as they rarely are a problem. You need to start with the basics. Spark check, compression check, clean carbs, link&sync, and adjust the idle mixture and idle speed with the engine in the water. On muffs there is no back pressure and those adjustments will change the minute you dunk the engine.

DHPMARINE

Captain

If you had to 'dewater' the fuel,there is probably water in the carbs.It won't get out on it's own.Clean them.Install new BRP kits (they come complete with floats).

If you have reed problems,small drops of fuel will spray out of the carb throats when running

DHP

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Have you done a proper spark and compression check?