Spraying Marine Urethanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Spraying Marine Urethanes

Here is the sportfish we saw in Key West. This was taken at a private dock near Mallory Square. It was Raining so we went boat watching.

KeyWest2006024.jpg

I remember reading something specific about the chemicals in Perfection. I'll try to find it again. It may be as simple as using a different rated filter for the respirator.

drewpster

Commander

This taken from an Interlux FAQ concerning the spraying of Interlux paints.

Question: I want to paint the topsides of my boat using your products and wish to spray apply the paint. Which product should I use?

Answer: Premium Yacht Enamel and Brightside may be sprayed. However, Perfection contains isocyanates which are dangerous when sprayed and require the use of specialized breathing apparatus. We would therefore always recommend that a professional applicator is used for this type of application.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

drewpster said:
This taken from an Interlux FAQ concerning the spraying of Interlux paints.

Question: I want to paint the topsides of my boat using your products and wish to spray apply the paint. Which product should I use?

Answer: Premium Yacht Enamel and Brightside may be sprayed. However, Perfection contains isocyanates which are dangerous when sprayed and require the use of specialized breathing apparatus. We would therefore always recommend that a professional applicator is used for this type of application.

Important I'm sure. Just stop by your local paint shop and ask what kind of filter you should have for your respirator. You should have one anyway, for any paint you use.

I do like the muted, pale yellow. I've seen a lot of boats that are using that lately.

drewpster

Commander

I bought a new regulator and tried to shoot some prekote today. It worked great. I am so happy that worked out. I was not looking forward to trying to roll/tip some of those very hard to reach inside corners. I had to become a contortionist to get at them for prep.

I used some construction paper I had around the house to mask with. It was a real pain. The paper is too thick and difficult to work with. Does anyone know of any particular concerns in selecting masking for marine paints given the solvents used in the paint?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The nice thing about a HVLP gun is that you can narrow down the spray pattern and reach back into places you could not reach with a syphon gun, let alone the brush or roller.

I'd just use newspaper and blue masking tape. Works like a champ.

Glad you got the spraying thing straightened out. Just turn on the fan and use a decent respirator. That HVLP gun throws out very little overspray.

drewpster

Commander

I have a good respirator. The work is being done outdoors.

I am very happy with the gun so far. All the controls worked great. Very easy to clean. Unfortunately I ran out of primer about 2/3rds through the job.

I am looking forward to doing some more after the work week coming up.

Reinellchris

Seaman Apprentice

alot of manufacturer,s recommend an air fed respirator.
stupid money for these mostly the filter system.i found a welders system works well the filters are just above waist high on your back .and try not to have any exposed skin.endura takes months to get off your hands :)
nice work btw

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Just finished shooting Interlux primekote, that stuff is incredibly thick. I tried shooting @ a 20% reduction and no go in a HPLV sprayer, i actually got up to 35-40% before i was able to get this stuff to flow. Yacht doctor if you read this could you comment on the reduction, If i remeber right the thinner should just get in beteen the catalyst and the paint reducing drying time, or have i damaged the paint's integerity?

I have one more shot to go by the book, and it will be with a airless sprayer, this primer is vastly different than Interlux pre kote, Ill be she's going to be a terror to sand down, it must have awful high build quality's

drewpster

Commander

From what I read on the website primecoat is the primer Interlux recommends for Perfection paint. It is also supposed to good for filling crazing in gelcoat. Let me know how the sanding goes. If I end up using Perfection, I will have to prime with Primecoat.

I found a siphon cup sprayer at a store that rhymes with Lowe's that is supposed to be set up for laytex paint. I wonder if the larger laytex tip would be better for shooting the thicker primer?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tail_Gunner said:
Just finished shooting Interlux primekote, that stuff is incredibly thick. I tried shooting @ a 20% reduction and no go in a HPLV sprayer, i actually got up to 35-40% before i was able to get this stuff to flow. Yacht doctor if you read this could you comment on the reduction, If i remeber right the thinner should just get in beteen the catalyst and the paint reducing drying time, or have i damaged the paint's integerity?

I have one more shot to go by the book, and it will be with a airless sprayer, this primer is vastly different than Interlux pre kote, Ill be she's going to be a terror to sand down, it must have awful high build quality's

That'll teach you to play hookey on such a beautiful day! Just think how many customers were clamouring for TailGunner today!8)

What size nozzle were you using. I just sprayed some Valspar Epoxy primer. It was snotty. I had to switch to a .18 nozzle, even after a 25% reducer thinning.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

As i anticpated this stuff is incredibely strong, It will be intresting to bust this down and lay a few layer's of the perfection........ I would never roll this stuff......never

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tail_Gunner said:
As i anticpated this stuff is incredibely strong, It will be intresting to bust this down and lay a few layer's of the perfection........ I would never roll this stuff......never

Yabut, yabut, what size tip were ya using?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Boomyal said:
Tail_Gunner said:

Yabut, yabut, what size tip were ya using?
\

I can be of no help there Boom, the tip is a variable type, set up for a novice such as myself, ya just have to watch how much product you puttin out and control that speed...........I'll never forget those words........:devil:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ya didn't make a mess of Mama's new garage did you?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

8) Hell no not even, This prime kote is the absolute hardest resin i have ever sanded, almost like sanding that stuff you put on a cracked block, Ohh and it kinda like wood, you better get your sanding surface damm flat or it will leave a valley, i'll bet this take's me 36 hour's to get it ready to paint............. Umm i did lay it on thick so im only going to do one base coat......:} Not one sag though......8)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

gunner..so sorry l8 on this post...

naw..you can normally reduce up to 30 % ..

the 2 part epoxy primers that I use call for 20-30 % ( you be sure to allow flash time for each coat which is norm at 30-45 min depending on weather m8..)

I use a regular 2 qt pressure pot from Harbor F. for all my junk spraying.. 50 bucks..( primers..gelcoat etc. ) it has the tip you need for everything besides spraying special top paints like Awl-Grip or Imron..

dont chinse..buy good and apply good..that would be my advice..

YD.

drewpster

Commander

Is it normal for primekote to be so hard to sand? I have allot of boat to cover with Perfection is there another compatible primer that's easier to sand?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

That is exactly what you are looking for, it make's for a very hard surface (impact abrasion) and it is a very high build taking out imperfection's. I guess i am surpriesd between the difference's of Pre Kote vs Prime Kote.......... Pre Kote was very easy to sand.

The weather has turned on us again here so i cant post any pic's on the Perfection............. wonder how long it's going to take for a 70 sunny day..... seem's like i have all the time in the world now to get it right..........

Status
Not open for further replies.