Paint opinions?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I'm trying to settle on a paint to use for the deck and interior of my little Beachcraft. The deck had already been painted before (over metalflake gelcoat) but it is not in good shape, they did not use a primer and it is chipping off around things like the rub railings and other masked fittings.

I intend to pull all of the fittings off and sand everything smooth. I will not try to sand all of the old finish off but many places will go thru to the gel coat.

It would seem to me that a primer would be good to use, if for no other reason, it will give one more opportunity to fine sand for a smoother finish.

I've read about the Imrons and Awlgrips but those are hellaciously expensive. Other paints call themselfs polys and poxys but appear to be no more that alkyd enamels. Then of course there are the two part paints and the single part paints. I like the idea of catalysed paint and primer 'cause I think they would be more durable.

What all have you guys used? I did use some interlux brightsides in the bilge of my Gulfstream but that appears to take more stains than I like. I have also ruled out re-gelcoating.

Reinellchris

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Paint opinions?

i've painted vacume trucks with a product called endura
also a little dirt bike it's two part very similar to awlgrip
run's about 100 can a gallon.you can wash it with muriatic acid won't hurt the paint.i'm going to paint my boat with it once the glass work is done :)

Bondo

Staff member

While it Ain't Cheap,....... It Is cheaper than the Marine versions of the Same Paint.....

I've been using 2pt. Urethanes from NAPA for Years on Boats, cars,+ trucks.......
I think it's Martin Seymour paint,....

It lays down Beautifully,+ Really takes a Beating......

And of course,.... There's NO limit to the Colors that can be Mixed...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bond-o said:
While it Ain't Cheap,....... It Is cheaper than the Marine versions of the Same Paint.....

I've been using 2pt. Urethanes from NAPA for Years on Boats, cars,+ trucks.......
I think it's Martin Seymour paint,....

It lays down Beautifully,+ Really takes a Beating......

And of course,.... There's NO limit to the Colors that can be Mixed...

Whew! I awoke this morning and went direct to check responses on this post. When I saw 'Bond-o' was the last responder, I says, "OH NO!, he's gonna tell me to use a rattle can";)

Good idea Bond-o. I'll check w/ my fav Napa Store. I like the idea of infinite color selection and easy availability.

So many of these 'marine' paints are not even easy to come by, shipping is expensive and their color selections suck.

Do you use a two part 'epoxy' urethane primer as well, or do you just sand and squirt?

Bondo

Staff member

I use the total System for whichever Paint I'm buying.......
I've had Bad things happen, even when Just switching Manufactures of Like Products....

I believe in Primering,... If for Nothing else, it gives a solid Background for the Top Coat...... Which in turn gives a more uniform appearance.....
As well as it's intended purpose of giving 1 last chance at the Perfect Sanding Job.......

As I was typing that response,.....
I was thinking about tossing in something about Rustolium,+ Rattlecans............d:)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bond-o said:
.....As I was typing that response,.....
I was thinking about tossing in something about Rustolium,+ Rattlecans............d:)

Maybe for the trim, huh?;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I've never seen a automotive paint self level, that is one of the reason's iv'e stayed away from it. The Interlux paint is really uncanny in the way it lay's, no orange peel what so ever to me it looked like a very well done color sanding job

Im surprised the bright side's stained, but then agian it's not really a two part urethane, question did you allow the paint to cure for 10-14 day's from what i v'e read it takes that long to fully harden

I am however going to paint some striping on the WellCraft and will be using Perfection, id would have already done as such but it need's to be done in low humidity and 70 degree + heat. Actually we just acquired new dig's and the gargae is large enough to accomadate the boat, so maybe with a little nudging, the war dept will let me paint in there......:devil:

One big down side to Interlux is it does take quite a while to cure but the finish is flawless... (for a novice painter)