69 55HP RUDE WILL NOT CRANK UNLES PRIMED

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 69 55 hp rude that will not crank unless you remove a spark plug and spray starting fulid then it will
crank everytime for the next several hours. If it sits over night it will do the same thing again. I have replaced fuel filter fuel pump and rebuit carbs. please help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 69 55HP RUDE WILL NOT CRANK UNLES PRIMED

starter fluid is a 2cycles worst enemy. yo may have already done harm. only spray premixed gas into the coarb or the cylinders. 1st things first. lets start with the easy stuff. are you pumping the bulb till hard, cranking with choke activated(are you sure the choke is closing?)? then repumping. if so i say you didn't get the carbs clean and the float needle is sticking. 2. check spark. get a $10.00 spark tester at auto store, spark should be almost blue and jump 7/16 of an inch. 3. check compression, low compression makes for a hard start, expecially when cold. 4. has the engine ever been decarbed, if not way over due. 5. is this engine new to you , or has it sat up for a while? doing a decarb my free up rings and will get the old crud out of the engine.

i'm voting stuck float or low compression

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=36;gtid=1035563

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Your sync,& link from carb to ignition could well be out of adjustment. Is the choke going fully closed when using the manual or electric switch? this would cause hard starting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting weak ignition or plugs, which is able to set fire to the very flamable ether. The old Motorola system with distributor under the cap wasn't the hottest thing ever made. Are you trying to run those old surface gap spark plugs? Throw them away and put in a set of L77JC4 or QL77JC4 gapped at .030 - .035 and see what happens.