Another oil thread

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
just wondering what everyone uses. And wanting to get opinions on the best oil to run in my 4.3 cobra,It calls for straight 30 weight. Thanks..8)

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Another oil thread

I run straight 40 in mine Gary. My merc manual says 30 or 40 is preferred then multi weights. I am not that far from you (just north of Durham) and chose the 40 because I will definately be doing more boating while the temps are in the 100deg neighborhood (most of the summer) than I will be at 50deg or less (almost never, wife thinks it is too cold).

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

THANKS,WHAT BRAND IS BEST?
I have been using Valvoline...
thought maybe a marine oil of some type may be better..

Bondo

Staff member

My boats are run on Mobil 1, in 15W-50..........50hr. changes.....
All my Gearcases are running Mobil 1, 75W-90........Checked at 50hrs,+ 100hr. changes.......

Synthetic All the Way.............:love:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Bondo. I have been thinking about going to Mobil 1, just wondered if it was good to change to a synthetic on an older engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Changing to synthetic in an older engine is perfectly ok with two exceptions: 1) if the engine leaks oil it will leak more with synthetic and 2) if the engine uses oil it will use more oil with synthetic.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Fixed my leaks and the engine has never used oil so good to go! Thanks. Do they make a straight 30 synthetic or is the 15w50 better anyway?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have never seen a straight weight Mobil 1.Make sure your motor does not even seep a bit of oil because a seep can become a leak and a leak becomes a bad leak.If you are positive then the Mobil 1 is a great choice.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gary, of course it's your money. But in my opinion, unless you are racing and need every edge or you change your oil only every five years, you'll be fine with what now is known as Dino oil.

My boat has been using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 for eight years now and I wouldn't use anything else. Synthetics are great, don't get me wrong, but for 99% of boat owners (and car owners) it's overkill.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks everyone,
After giving it some thought i think i will stick with the straight 30 weight,I have been using Valvoline 30 wt high performance oil.
Just don't want any thing to start leaking.I change it 2 times a season.
Thanks for all the input...8)

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

used 15w-50 mobil one for a few years and now I'm trying royal purple in a 30wt this season.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

put together a 302 once and started it out on mobil 1. I could not get the thing to break in, pulled it apart and it was as fresh as when i started it so i ran it on dino then went back to mobil 1 and its the only oil i will put in anything now. every 3 oil changes i'll add 1qt of lucas. 302 was for a car but a motor is a motor.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Oh man I hate oil threads....they really get emotional (and slippery!)

Being a person that had a Big block OMC (Ford) 460 with a cam that went flat in only 300 hrs or so I started investigating camshaft failures and what oil might have to do with it. (My brother used theSLICK50 type of snake oil in it!!.......Maybe that caused it!!)

Anyway, I found that since most automotive oils for gasoline engines have reduced ZDDP (to protect the cat converter) the camshaft makers like COMP, ISKY, and cam grinders etc have been suggesting that people use oils that have higher levels of ZDDP compounds to prevent cam lobe wear in flat tappet cams.

They say that one should use diesel type oils because they seem to contain more (much more) ZDDP than any of the current crop of gas engine type oils including all of the synthetics.

To that end they recommend using oils like Shell Rotella 15W40, Chevron DELO 15W40 and any other diesel rated single or multi-grade oils.

I suppose if you HAD to use a synthetic oils like Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic, Chevron 5W-40 SUV, or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 etc would be good too.

Some of those camshaft manufacturers also suggest using GM EOS or equiv for camshaft lubrication.

Here's a couple of articles that reference several major camshaft makers suggestions on what oils/additives to use to protect your flat tappet cam (I suppose those with a roller cam don't have this problem)

nullhttp://www.minimania.com/web/Displa...isplayType/Technical Information/ArticleV.cfm

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/oil_summary.html

Now, I suspect that since there's no marine engine catalytic converters available (yet!!) Mercurys 25W40 and other NMMA FC-W oils probably HAVE the increased levels of ZDDP necessary to protect the marine camshafts out there.

This seems to be a big enough problem nowadays and the people who race and motorcyclist types are all talking about the new oils and how they DON'T lubricate well enough to protect camshafts.

There's also a new oil for diesels that is supposed to be better for cat converters (diesels now have cat converters and particulate filters that are sensitive to older oils). These new oils have reduced levels of ZDDP but I don't know what they did to replace it.

Anyway, if you have an older engine with a flat tappet cam you might consider using a diesel type rated oil to protect it.

All the old engine rebuilders that I talk to tell me to use Delo 15W40 or similar.

Cheers,

Rick

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Volvo specs SAE30 synthetic in their North America gas models. I was using Volvo synthetic 30, switched to Royal Purple 30 and am now using RP 15w - 40. Oil pressure is a little lower when warming up with the 15w - 40 than with the 30(good, means the oil is flowing), but is about the same when warm.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Lots of good reading,Thanks Rick!

Was going to do the spring shakedown cruise this weekend.It was in the 70's and low 80's all week.
Now its 40 degrees and raining..low 30's tonight,I better not drain the anti-freeze just yet!:|