PC in Seattle, (I know: shocking) WbW approves the news source

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: PC in Seattle, (I know: shocking) WbW approves the news source

JB was right. This is not a political issue. It is a cultural issue. The only thing is that it's political philosphy that is driving the cultural issues.:p;)8)

See! Proof that Boomyal is becoming a kinder and gentler poster1o:)

OldMercsRule

Captain

Boomyal said:
JB was right. This is not a political issue. It is a cultural issue. The only thing is that it's political philosphy that is driving the cultural issues.:p;)8)

See! Proof that Boomyal is becoming a kinder and gentler poster1o:)

Proud o' ya Boom, when I saw your name next to the post prior to readin' it I though OH OH here goes! SPOT ON, (hope I can say that) JR 8)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have a PM, Murk.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Back at ya SR! 8)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Where do ya apply for the Boo Police gig................that sounds like a great job. Catch someone booing and ya get to bash them...

OldMercsRule

Captain

I wanna be one of the guards at the prison facility, after LT arrests 'em. The laddies' jail please! JR 8)

PW2

Commander

Well, I'm not so sure it is worse today, but my college roommate many years ago used to referee high school basketball games.

Some teams, and their fans, seem to think any call that favors any opponent is a punishable offense to be met with violence.

The worst offenders were games between Lynden and Lynden Christian, in the northwest corner of Washington State. The league had a hard time getting officials to work the games, and ended up paying him double because of the inevitable meelee that would likely break out.

Booing is one thing, and is reasonably innocent if kept under control. That was something else in Lynden.. I can certainly understand the desire of the league, even if I think it would be incredibly difficult to enforce

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

What about "Freedom of Speech"? Is booing speech and therefore protected? Or am I just one of those crazy people the believe in the constitution?

OldMercsRule

Captain

PW2 said:
Well, I'm not so sure it is worse today, but my college roommate many years ago used to referee high school basketball games.

Some teams, and their fans, seem to think any call that favors any opponent is a punishable offense to be met with violence.

The worst offenders were games between Lynden and Lynden Christian, in the northwest corner of Washington State. The league had a hard time getting officials to work the games, and ended up paying him double because of the inevitable meelee that would likely break out.

Booing is one thing, and is reasonably innocent if kept under control. That was something else in Lynden.. I can certainly understand the desire of the league, even if I think it would be incredibly difficult to enforce

[colour=blue]Hey PW2, I dunno how old you are or how long you lived in Seattle, but I graduated from Nathan Hale HS, (North East Seattle) in 1970. In my senior year 1969-70 Ingraham, (North West Seattle), rivals: played a basketball game at Shoreline. The game was very close and both teams were contending for something post season. There was pushing and shoving at the game, (in addition to other more 'traditional' things like: booing). After the game both schools met a Herfy's, (now a memory) at Northgate on 110th NE. There were fist fights, and damage to 20 cars + or -, and patty wagons n' Cops galore. It made the papers too. We had similar issues with Roosevelt HS also in NE Seattle. I know my home town folks: this, (shannagans at games) is not new! Been there: done that. The proposed law is new, and as Eric, (Plainsman) said: comming to your town soon! Respectfully, JR[/colour]

Fly Rod

Commander

About a year ago a father was killed in a fight with another parent in the stands of a youth hockey game. Wasn't intentional to kill him, the victims head hit the concrete step. The perpetrator was sentenced to 12 years.

crunch

Commander

I read somewhere (sorry, no link... me bad) that a Chicago school system was paying over $800,000 per year in police overtime for their sports security... did you get that?... 800,000 dollars that is not going into teacher salaries, not going into anything that will benefit the students, not going into anything that will prepare those students for life in the real world... $800,000, plus whatever it costs to put on these games.... for what?

This is totally insane! What is the benefit of school sports teams? What is the benefit to society in the, dare I say, Billions of dollars spent each year moving some kind of ball around some restricted area for the entertainment of a few people that have kids moving that ball?

Have our schools become the "farm teams" of the Professional leagues?

IMNSHO, we need to rethink these school athletic programs. We have science teachers, math teachers, and english teachers that have one, and one only credential to teach, that is their knowledge of a sport and their Major in Phys Ed.... they are hired just because they can coach a sport or two.... Oh, and graduate a few stars that can’t even spell their names.

I will now go to my bunker, shut the “vault type” door, and test my fallout detector. :p

Fly Rod

Commander

Plainsman, I'm sure that 99.99 9/10 of us believe in the freedom of speech. Sometimes it is taken too far to the extreme and provokes retaliation. Such as the case of the "F" word, of which I am sure, that some even on this forum use in their vocabulary on a daily bases around their wife,kids, lady friend or friends, even in a restaurant. And this "F" word has caused a few turbulent emotions.

So I believe the "Freedom of Speech," could be taken to far, when it is going to endanger or provoke others into a melee!!!! 8)

So do we need a ban on "Freedom of Speech?" "OF course not, just some masking tape to cover one's mouth at times!!!" 8)

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I coached kid's Soccer for a few years. Some of the parents were so bad at controlling their outbursts at our team and the others I had to institute a measure that penalized the kids of those parents.
If a parent disrupted the match by yelling at the kids, regardless of team, or saying things like "kick him", I simply removed their kid from the game and disinvited them from the usual ice cream treat after it.

As the kids (and parents) knew why, they held their parents to blame.

Consequently, as many of the other Coaches did the same thereafter, the problem(s) all but went away.

Score one for the kids.

Fly Rod

Commander

rmmpe said:
I coached kid's Soccer for a few years. Some of the parents were so bad at controlling their outbursts at our team and the others I had to institute a measure that penalized the kids of those parents.
If a parent disrupted the match by yelling at the kids, regardless of team, or saying things like "kick him", I simply removed their kid from the game and disinvited them from the usual ice cream treat after it.

As the kids (and parents) knew why, they held their parents to blame.

Consequently, as many of the other Coaches did the same thereafter, the problem(s) all but went away.

Score one for the kids.

8) "EXCELLENT!!!" 8)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OldMercsRule said:
Back at ya SR! 8)

JR - I sent one more PM last night - Check it out next time you pop in. ;)

PW2

Commander

OldMercsRule said:
PW2 said:

[colour=blue]Hey PW2, I dunno how old you are or how long you lived in Seattle, but I graduated from Nathan Hale HS, (North East Seattle) in 1970. In my senior year 1969-70 Ingraham, (North West Seattle), rivals: played a basketball game at Shoreline. The game was very close and both teams were contending for something post season. There was pushing and shoving at the game, (in addition to other more 'traditional' things like: booing). After the game both schools met a Herfy's, (now a memory) at Northgate on 110th NE. There were fist fights, and damage to 20 cars + or -, and patty wagons n' Cops galore. It made the papers too. We had similar issues with Roosevelt HS also in NE Seattle. I know my home town folks: this, (shannagans at games) is not new! Been there: done that. The proposed law is new, and as Eric, (Plainsman) said: comming to your town soon! Respectfully, JR[/colour]

Wow! A small world it is!

I graduated from Nathan Hale HS in 1965--The first graduating class from the school!

And we used to have our big brawls with Ingraham HS at the ****'s Drive In in Lake City

Those were the good old days, for those that didn't get a permanent police record from it, at least!

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hey PW2, I remember those fights too! It's funny but You and I know how bad those "****'s" "ratburgers" are for ya, yet it is very hard for us old guys to not stop for an' ol' cheeze burger n' fries n' a coke, (wtih the extra coke syrup that makes it taste sooooooo good), from time to time! Must be the extra greese on those fries! N' just look at all the old geezers like you and me in line!! If you just remember what it was like back then, (for you and I). Why would anybody IN THEIR RIGHT MIND want to set up a HUGE NANNY GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY: COURTS, PRISONS, SOCIAL WORKERS, (supported by our tax dollars of course), just 'cause someone's feeeeeeeeeeeeelin's get hurt 'cause someone booooooooooed. Probably can't say that here anymore either. See ya in a while PW2, (it was fun here for a while) Thanks iboats! JR

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

You skippin out murky? Who's gonna give astronomy lessons now?