Dollar paint

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anybody used the paint cans from places like dollar general? I have a can with the trademark "Miracal". Does anybody have any experience with this kind of paint? Being on a very low to no budget I am interested in the cheapest restoration options possible. Even if it lasted for just one season it seems like a viable option!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Dollar paint

Ayuh,........ Go for It,...... It'll No Doubt Match your Expectations........

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you tink I'll get a seasons use out of it? It's a 1972 boat with(if I ever get it running), a 1968 motor. I don't see that it's worth breaking the bank over. I just want to get on the water for a small investment. Please don't make fun of me. It's not my fault that I am poor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the little red and white boat i sent you pictures of was done with the $1.00 home depot paint, the gray of the blue finn is also done the same, the floor is lowes non skid floor paint. the prep, is the key. scratch it , a little spray it looks like new,

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sanity returns to the forum huh? Not everyone can spend $400 per foot for a 2 part paint job. I'll go with who I trust (tashasdaddy) and go with the dollar paint!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The spray cans will work. But not the best result. The problem with painting large areas with spray cans is keeping a good wet edge. The spray cans usually use a fast dry thinner, and you end up with glossy and flat looking areas.

For about the same money for a dozen or so of those spray cans, you can pick up a quart of rustolium or other outdoor (not latex) paint. Mix it with a little slow turps/thinner to slow down the dry time and shoot it in a cheap "airless" hand held sprayer. It will look better, last longer and cost about the same.

What ever you do, be sure to clean and sand the surface before painting. It will no doubt last a good 3 or more years if you take care of it.

Low dollar does not excuse low quality workmanship.

So go to it and have fun!

Oh! And don't forget to post some before and after pictures. Lots of people here would love to see a budget recondition project. Me included.

EDIT:

Here are some other budget recondition options:
- If the gel coat is OK, but not shiny, pick up a half gallon of Armstrong Acrylic Floor wax (at home depot) or use the Future brand Acrylic floor was. Apply 3 or so coats with brush or roller. Dries clear, water proof (remove with amonia), and is almost the same content as that fancy clear coat boat finish you read about that comes with cleaner and finish.

Also apply it to a windshield with lots of scratches to clean it up. Try a small area first!

- Aluminum trim not looking so shiny? A can or two of Rustolium Hammered Metal finish in silver or gold looks excellent and outlasts regular silver color spray paint.

- Walmart has some inexpensive abs seats/posts if your seats are totally shot.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well here's a treat for those that like "Before" pictures!

http://www.mypilty.com/engine.htm

These are the before pictures. Some of the fiberglass is discolored unevenly. I'll look into the suggestions that you make Mark42. They seem like a much better option. I have a compressor and spraygun so I'll use that instead of airless. Thanks for some great advice.

iwombat

Captain

I used the rustoleum brush-on for side and kick panels. Basically anything that wasn't going to get too abused or have standing water. I used a good primer and proper sanding in between coats. So far, so good. And, at $7 a qt it sure keeps the budget in check.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input iwombat. I'll check out the rustoleum. Luckily I have a little time to make decisions because I still have to rip out the old floor. Once I've installed a new floor I'll get to painting.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have the equip go with the rustoleum.it's ggod paint. prep,prep,prep.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Prep, prep, prep! Work, work, work. I may have to sell this boat to get another project and, being the guy that I am, I won't sell crap. I'll do a good job on the boat and start again I think. Anybody got a spare canoe 'cause I think that's the only way I'm gonna get afloat this year! I may on the other hand take the V6 engine from a jeep and drop that into this boat. Mind you, that may give me more problems than I already have LoL.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hell, Pilty. I've put boats in wose condition on the water. Go for it.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have also used the rustoleum topside paint from lowes($10-15)and am extremely happy.thinned w/ xylol or xylene in a spray gun came out beutiful.
btw good job kissin up to these guys on your website,they still havent stop smillin!!!!lol i to thank you all!

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to go for it cause I can't afford anything else. Float, go and, smile right? Rustoleum sounds like the way to go!

drewpster

Commander

I traded for a trailer that I use for my 77' Thundercaft. It was rusty and just about junk but everything was there. I bought a cheap sandblast pot from Northern tool and used my friend's air compressor. We sandblasted the complete trailer and I primed and painted it out of cans. I used cheap primer and Ace Rust Stop spray paint. I replaced the bunks, the carpet and the lights. Later I replaced the bearings and the tires. The complete job cost around $350 over a months time.
That was 5 years ago and the boat still rides on the same trailer. I have replaced the tires with new cheap ones once and put on a new cheap wench during that time. More expensive does not necessarily mean better.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Dollar paint w/ pic

Re: Dollar paint w/ pic

Here is a shot of my old Thundercraft. Trailer still looks pretty good.

thunder.jpg

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Quote drewpster:
"More expensive does not necessarily mean better. "

Agree 100% ! As long as your happy and it's safe, the heck with the rest of them.

drewpster

Commander

"Hell I thought I was dead, turns out I was just in Nebraska!" Little Bill Tate 1894

:love: Thanks Plainsman

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

drewpster said:
"Hell I thought I was dead, turns out I was just in Nebraska!" Little Bill Tate 1894

:love: Thanks Plainsman

LOL Ain't that the truth!8)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I didn't even bother reading all the posts. I have used a LOT of Dollar store paint on a LOT of things, including the boat I'm building right now.. If its NOT going to be under water, just go ahead. Spray a board with it. Still there the next day? Good'nuff.