evinrude 120 rebuild cant get idle right please help

robert.barnes

Seaman
i rebuilt a evinrude 120 looper i got the motor with all new parts and macine work done i just had to put it all back to a running motor i put all new carb kits in and new recirce valves all new hoses and new plugs i am still running the motor on the break in i have about 8 hours on it running 25 to 1 ratio the motor runs great from 1500 rpms on it has tons of torque but my problem is idel or low rps no wake it acts like it is missing fire or something if you run it long babying it it wont open up it bogs out and u have to give at least half thotle to start it also at idel if it starts to die if you push the chock it cleans up a bit and will stay running but the primmer buld stays tight also it has a new fuel pump any help would be thanked alot i just did not know if this was normal for break in with 25 to 1 ratio also plugs r black not carboned up just black

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 120 rebuild cant get idle right please help

Robert, I would first ask if you did a link and sync. It would sound as if this is the problem....possibly a throttle plate open a little when it shouldn't be. Could you post the year or better yet, a model number?

robert.barnes

Seaman

looks like e120tlco it is a 1985 by the title yes i did do a link and sink

robert.barnes

Seaman

how bad will the 25 to 1 ratio make it run

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Did you actually look into the throats of the carbs and verify all the plates are closed with the throttle all the way off and that they all move at the same time?

When running, did you verify spark at all the cylinders? You can do this by pulling spark plug wires or using a timing light.

robert.barnes

Seaman

yes spark all the time at all cylinders and yes plates all closed at the same time

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Let's look at other things....primer solenoid, is the red lever pointing towards the bottom of the solenoid for normal operation? Are we sure the solenoid is closing and not bleeding fuel through to the reed cages?

robert.barnes

Seaman

it is also new and i dont think that is the prob because when it is pushed it seems to clean up and idle better for a min or two and yes it is pointing down could my timing becauseing this prob

robert.barnes

Seaman

i have all new electrical componets except coils is the idle timing suposed to to be 4 degrees before top dead center

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sounds right but then I don't have the book in front of me. Usually it'll give you a +/-. You just chose which makes the best idle. Might go back and redo the link/sync just to double check everything.

Carb floats where set to spec. I suppose?

EDIT: Pushing in the choke and it cleans up for a few kinda indicates a posible plugged idle circuit. They are very small.

robert.barnes

Seaman

i set it to what the clymers book said to but that thing is good for toilet paper when you r out of the real thing

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

LOL!! Nothing like the real thing Robert....d:) OEM service manuals are the best, hands down.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The idle timing is ATDC, and there is a service bulletin on the adjusting screw.

Walker

Captain

Idle Timing should be 8 ATDC
What sparkplugs and what gap are you using??

robert.barnes

Seaman

i will have to look they r from the evinrude dealer and they checked the gap ( i saw them check it ) walker what do u mean service bulletin