Alpha One Gimbal Ring Symptoms for Replacement

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha One Gimbal Ring Symptoms for Replacement

Jolly,
After investigating more my play is about 6 inches to the left and none to the right. I tried torqueing them but to no avail.

QC

Supreme Mariner

jollymon said:
He heated up the area around the two pinch bolts that tighten the Gimbal Ring around the stainless steel shaft, then used the impact wrench to remove the bolts. We then replaced them.
This is weird since those "two bolts" are actually a single U-bolt . . .
33.gif

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

QC said:
jollymon said:
He heated up the area around the two pinch bolts that tighten the Gimbal Ring around the stainless steel shaft, then used the impact wrench to remove the bolts. We then replaced them.
This is weird since those "two bolts" are actually a single U-bolt . . .
33.gif
Not true, QC.....
There are nuts on the end of those bolts......
Don's picture shows how it works....
Now,why those nuts didn't fall off & get lost when they pulled the bolts out is a mystery....
Also, I find it a mystery that there is only play, "one way"............:/

QC

Supreme Mariner

The one way thing doesn't make sense to me either, but I stand by the U-bolt. Yes two nuts, but one U-bolt . . . What am I missing?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Look at Don' notes about the U bolt. Maybe Alpha's have two independent bolts? On a Bravo it is a single U that goes around the back. Same concept, one U-bolt. Can't be removed without pulling the ring.

I guess it would be pretty simple for me to look at an Alpha parts book, but that would be too easy . . . ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhh, I went and looked, yup two bolts. Sorry for the hijack . . In my best Emily Litella, "never mind . . ." :$

I see what you mean about his nuts . .. . err the nuts . . .
30.gif

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Holy cats, as a fairly new IO owner I got scared reading this post! :% So is there a way to prevent this from happening iether through preventive maintenance or operational habbits? This is a loaded question but, what is the lifespan on a gimbal ring assy. before replacement? By the way, why don't they have a grease zerk on the bottom hinge/pivot? My 90 Alpha one doesn't have one.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You are supposed to tighten those bolts at certain intervals as part of preventative maintenece....
The gimbal rings life will depend on salt water vs freshwater use....
Moored vs trailered.......

QC

Supreme Mariner

Torquing the Gimbal ring to steering shaft connection is included in your annual maintenance Tyee . . . I had an Alpha that never gave me any trouble and I have a Bravo now that needs a new ring for the same reason as above. I got the Alpha new and it was well maintained. I got the Bravo used and apparently it had never been torqued. Went south quickly. Aluminum vs. stainless, as DonS noted, aluminum lost . . .

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

wewefirex2x,

The play in mine, was to the right and very little to the left. Your problem is sounding more and more like mine. I also tried to tighten mine using a 3 foot breaker bar, with no luck. It is very difficult to put leverage on the breaker bar and hold a wrench on the nut in the back. It was a combination of the heat from the tourch, and the force of the impact wrench that did the trick.

When you tried to tourqe them, did the bolts tighten up? If the bolts do not tighten, they will not pinch the gimbal ring down and you will still have play. When you look at the gimbal ring do you have a gap, on either side of the ring wear the bolt runs thru? Mine was about 3/8 of and inch on the right side, it tighten down to about 1/4 inch.

QC,

I am glad your bolts are a single u-bolt but on my Alpha One, they are two bolts, 3/8"x3 1/2" bolts.

Not knowing the Bravo unit, just a question, Are the nuts in the front of the drive or the back? If the nuts are in the front, it sure would make it a lot easier!!!

The Alpha drive the nuts are in the back and you have to be a magician, to get a wrench in the back to hold the nuts while you tighten the bolt. It is even tougher to get the nut back in there for the new bolt. But with all the trouble to get the bolt to turn, there was no way I was going to leave the old ones in.

Haut, the old nuts did not get lost, because we had a wrench on them. In fact the bolts themselves had to be pulled out with vicegrips. Having a wrench on the nuts was the only way to undo the bolts.

QC

Supreme Mariner

jollymon,

Yes, the nuts are on the front. The biggest issue I understand with the U-bolt is breakage. Adhering to the torque spec is very important. If you snap it . . . Doh!

tommays

Admiral

I think your pushing the limit of squezeing the metal and NOT haveing it fail at a REALLY BAD TIME

And i am not really sure how well the seal is going to seal after heating ?

Tommays

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey wewefire, would you mind posting any pictures you have of your boat? I have an 89 Monterey 1900 bow rider, and just havnt seen another of the same type of model. Id love to see it!

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

zim, I would love to. Let me get it back from the shop at the end of next week and put some soap on it and I will post some pics for you.

imported_boatin clan

Seaman Apprentice

I know you bought the baot as-is but $100-$200 at the end of each season for preventative maintenence is the cheapest insurance policy you can get to ensure a long life for your boat.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boatin Clan,
I totally agree but I did not pick boat up in july 06. I went over the boat and water tested it twice, by then with busy lifestyle was not able to look at every little detail of the vessel.

UPDATE: My boat should be ready next weekend. The mechanic is going to replace gimbal ring, pull motor, replace bellows, replace impeller, replace shift cable, replace trim pump resivor, weld freeze crack lower unit, weep hole was clogged, tune up and put oil change line from oil pan all for 2200.00 dollars

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

tommays,

There is not a seal, it is all aluminum. As for breakage, you are not heating, to move the metal. The heat was to remove the bolt, that had corrosion so bad that you could not turn it. The Gimbal is designed to be tighten down on the shaft.

Jollymon

tommays

Admiral

Jolly

There is seal on the SS shaft your clamping on if you were only getting out the old bolts it should be fine

Your description sounded like you heated the ring to get it to clamp more :)

Tommays