johnson hard start

Skeetbum

Cadet
I am the new kid and I'm not sure how to get my problem addressed. '97 johnson 25 hp. Just had carb cleaned and choke solenoid replaced due to leakage. plugs replaced. Takes every bit of 3 to 5 minutes of constant cranking to start motor. I know this isn't right and will damage parts. If intake is blocked by hand motor will start directly and start quickly rest of the day. I've had johnsons for years but this is my first electronic and I'm confused. Thanx for your patience. Tim

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson hard start

Please describe the steps in your cold starting procedure exactly.

Is the motor a tiller model? Is it electric start or rope?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

exeke, it has a choke solenoid, electric start. by putting you hand over the intake, you are manually choking the engine. remove the cover, and with the key on, hit the choke switch, does the choke close. is the soleniod clicking. some of the motors, have a manual choke, that is a 3 postion switch. all the way in was off, 1 click out was for the electric switch to activate the choke, all the way out was the manual choke. if your has this, it's very possible the lever is push all the way in, and in the manual off position. thus the engine is not choking. welcome to iboats, the university of boating.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Tashasdaddy, begging your pardon, but why not let him answer the questions? If we knew what model it was I would not be asking the questions.

"..choke solenoid replaced due to leakage...."

Choke solenoids don't leak.8)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hand slapped, please accept my apology.

Skeetbum

Cadet

ezeke said:
Tashasdaddy, begging your pardon, but why not let him answer the questions? If we knew what model it was I would not be asking the questions.

"..choke solenoid replaced due to leakage...."

Choke solenoids don't leak.8)
As I said this is my first elctronic motor. All in the past had points and manual butterfly chokes. When the pseudo tech had the cover off and I turned the key and pushed for choke, fuel came from the choke system. The red indicator arrow was also pointed in the wrong position. (beats me) I don't believe I have a 3 position switch for the choke(ezeke) as I push on the key for choke and yes it does click when I do this. Thanx for the input.

Skeetbum

Cadet

ezeke said:

Remote steer(stick) and elec start. I've had the boat 2 1/2 yrs. When I first got it I would turn the key and push and wouldn't wait 3 to 5 seconds and it would catch. It would jump up on a plane and gain rpm quickly. (16 ft alum boat). Now when I follow this procedure, the motor will turn over for a very long time and throttle must be nuetraled and moved forward1/4 of the way for it to catch. If the outside temps are low it has taken as much as 2 to 4 minutes of cranking for it to start. Manually choking works when there's two people, but I can't reach the motor and turn the key. Haven't tried starting fluid. I know there's something that isn't right but I'm out of aces. I've done alot of my own work in the past, but I'm stumped. Thanx for your input. Tim

Skeetbum

Cadet

tashasdaddy said:
exeke, it has a choke solenoid, electric start. by putting you hand over the intake, you are manually choking the engine. remove the cover, and with the key on, hit the choke switch, does the choke close. is the soleniod clicking. some of the motors, have a manual choke, that is a 3 postion switch. all the way in was off, 1 click out was for the electric switch to activate the choke, all the way out was the manual choke. if your has this, it's very possible the lever is push all the way in, and in the manual off position. thus the engine is not choking. welcome to iboats, the university of boating.
I'm not sure where to look for this switch but I'll take a look and see what I can find. The motor is a model"J25teeum" and I see no lever or switch that I can identify. The repair shop told me that this motor had no manual choke butterfly as I am used to , but the "solenoid" injected fuel into the intake instead. Is there a repair manual that will help me without costing the farm? You guys have the smarts and I feel like I'm walking blindfolded. Thanx for the input

Skeetbum

Cadet

Skeetbum said:
ezeke said:

Remote steer(stick) and elec start. I've had the boat 2 1/2 yrs. When I first got it I would turn the key and push and wouldn't wait 3 to 5 seconds and it would catch. It would jump up on a plane and gain rpm quickly. (16 ft alum boat). Now when I follow this procedure, the motor will turn over for a very long time and throttle must be nuetraled and moved forward1/4 of the way for it to catch. If the outside temps are low it has taken as much as 2 to 4 minutes of cranking for it to start. Manually choking works when there's two people, but I can't reach the motor and turn the key. Haven't tried starting fluid. The power is also not what it was as it slowly gains power to achieve planing. This reminds me of a cold ,old chevy I once had that when you hit the gas it took a second to clear and then built power and away you went. I don't believe top end has suffered. I know there's something that isn't right but I'm out of aces. I've done alot of my own work in the past, but I'm stumped. Thanx for your input. Tim

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Sounds as though your motor was set up with the "Remote Electric Start Kit" - part 174973. That includes a "Primer Solenoid Assembly" part 437233.

The primer solenoid assembly is a cylindrical device which takes some fuel from the fuel pump and passes it directly into the intake for cold starts. It is activated by pushing in the key on the ignition.

If the red switch on the device is turned 90º, fuel can be injected through the device manually, just by squeezing the bulb on the fuel line. In this position the pushing of the key will do nothing, however.

The proper position for using the key is achieved by turning the red switch on the solenoid so that it is aligned with the cylindrical body of the primer solenoid.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Any bets the nozzle on the carb is blocked,so the primer can't squirt into the intake?

That's my guess.

DHP

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Probably, DHP, it took me this long to wade through all the models and try to figure out the setup.

In 1997, there are 30 different models listed for the 25HP Johnson alone, plus all kinds of options.

It sure would be simpler if people could try to include the model number with the questions.

Skeetbum

Cadet

I did respond with model number previously, but it is"J25teeum" The red indicator spoken of in one of the responses from the commander I think might hit the nail on the head. It is 90 degrees to the solenoid body. I'm going out now to move it and try to start- wish me luck. Thanx Gents!

Skeetbum

Cadet

I went out and removed the cover to find the red indicator in line with the solenoid. I turned it 90 deg and squeezed the bulb. returned the indicator to proper position, raised the rpm via throttle and turned the key. No water(bad< i know) so I turned and pushed the key and it coughed, trying to start and I instantly cut the key off. I used the boat this am(2 fish-yaay) and like normal it didn't want to start. First try this season and I thought it might have some old fuel left though I ran it dry before putting it up last time out. I gave it a half second shot of starting fluid and it caught and ran some. Did this twice more and it stayed running though rough. Very slow and rough gaining rpm and getting on a plane. Ran 5-10 min and fished and it started easier next time. Fresh fuel this am from scratch, so no old fuel mixed. By the time I headed for the ramp due to wind it started quick, and gained rpm better. Captain mentioned the carb nozzle might be blocked, and I'm wanting to agree with him. Had carb cleaned in november but still had same problem. Will start fluid clean carb and possibly knock trash out of the way? I don't think the tech that did the work did all he said he did. It was returned to me with an all but dead battery so I'm convinced they knew what was going on. I'm going on the basis that it may have been some trash in the way and maybe its gone(I hope).Can one of you tell me what the adjustment screw on the top left of the carb is for? maybe high or low speed ? Thanx for all your input, its a big help.

Skeetbum

Cadet

Skeetbum said:
I went out and removed the cover to find the red indicator in line with the solenoid. I turned it 90 deg and squeezed the bulb. returned the indicator to proper position, raised the rpm via throttle and turned the key. No water(bad< i know) so I turned and pushed the key and it coughed, trying to start and I instantly cut the key off. I used the boat this am(2 fish-yaay) and like normal it didn't want to start. First try this season and I thought it might have some old fuel left though I ran it dry before putting it up last time out. I gave it a half second shot of starting fluid and it caught and ran some. Did this twice more and it stayed running though rough. Very slow and rough gaining rpm and getting on a plane. Ran 5-10 min and fished and it started easier next time. Fresh fuel this am from scratch, so no old fuel mixed. By the time I headed for the ramp due to wind it started quick, and gained rpm better. Captain mentioned the carb nozzle might be blocked, and I'm wanting to agree with him. Had carb cleaned in november but still had same problem. Will start fluid clean carb and possibly knock trash out of the way? I don't think the tech that did the work did all he said he did. It was returned to me with an all but dead battery so I'm convinced they knew what was going on. I'm going on the basis that it may have been some trash in the way and maybe its gone(I hope).Can one of you tell me what the adjustment screw on the top left of the carb is for? maybe high or low speed ? Thanx for all your input, its a big help. I also am going to find a new mechanic.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would first disconnect the primer hose at the carburetor and be sure that you are getting a good flow of fuel that far when you either use the manual 90º degree setting, or the automatic setting, or, hopefully both.

If you get a good burst of fuel from the hose, its on to the carburetor

If you want to clean the whole carburetor, you need the kit.

If you want to see what DHP was speaking of, disconnect the hose from the top of the primer solenoid to the carburetor and blow some aerosol carb cleaner like Gumout through it and the carburetor using the little plastic tube that comes with can.

If the liquid goes through, it will disolve gummy material in the hose and fitting and improve priming performance . If it does not, you probably will need to buy a carburetor kit and clean and rebuild the carburetor.

The needle adjustment located at the top of the carburetor is the low speed adjustment needle. Turning it clockwise makes the fuel air mixture leaner,

You would be well advised to get a factory service manual for your specific motor. Check with your dealer, or you may find one on Ebay.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Try 330085618755 on the Ebay.com search window.