chrysler 55 hp engine

rtransue

Recruit
I hate to ask this, but this is the first boat I have owned, and I am 63 yrs old and disabled.

I have acquired an old phantom (by areo-glass products) 16' bass boat with a phantom trailer and a Chrysler 55 hp outboard engine model # 559H1N, serial # 1406. First, can someone tell me the year of the engine, second, can someone tell me where to find the serial # of the boat, and the serial number of the trailer. I do not have a title, just a bill of sale. Title not required in Georgia before 1984. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

Richard

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: chrysler 55 hp engine

Welcome to iboats. :)

559H1N = 55Hp, 9 (dunno), H1 is 1981 (H is eighth letter), N (dunno).
Hull ID is usually molded in the stbd side of transom in the upper corner.
Trailer vin is usually on a large sticker on the tongue or near the front of the A-frame.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Welcome,if you are new to boating you should take a safe boating course.Also there are some things to do if the boat hasn't run in a long while.You should change the water pump(impeller) and change the gearcase lube. If you don't do the pump you need to watch that water pumps and be aware of any changes in the operation to indicate overheating.Steaming or laboring.
An overheat can ruin a powerhead.Changing the gear lube is the only way to be sure there is lube present and that there is no water infiltration.If water is present the lube will be milky.Water indicates bad seals which will need to be changed at some point.For now change the lube and use it a couple of hours and check the lube.
Be sure to ask any questions you have.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! Chrysler 55 is a very old design but an excellent engine. If you treat it right, it will run forever. It happens to be, at 156 lbs, the lightesr 55 ever made. Parts are still available through some Mercury dealers. The lower unit is the same on 35, 45, 55, as are many other parts. So: sometimes they don't show parts for the 55. If that's the case tell them to look up any year 45 hp engine. A new water pump impeller is a good idea and only costs between 13 and 17 bucks.

If you want to know more about the engine year, etc, go to the Chrysler Crew website, join it and ask Franz. He is like the guy that knows everything about Chrysler engines.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

rtransue said:
I hate to ask this, but this is the first boat I have owned, and I am 63 yrs old and disabled.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

Richard

Welcome to iboats, Richard.

Why do you hate to ask a question? We all have questions every day, yours just happens to be about a boat today.

And, you won't be 63 years old for long.
Once you get the boat in the water, it will take a few years off that age and make you feel about 55 again. d:) I hope I'm still trying new things when I reach 63.

Not sure what being disabled has to do with it, you are a fellow boater now.

If you are a tinkerer and want to service your motor yourself, the first thing to do is to pick up a repair manual that covers Chrysler outboards. A manual by Clymer or Seloc will do.
After learning about how your motor works, come here for any clarifications and help.

Mercury dealers or Mercruiserparts (dot) com are your sources for factory parts. For aftermarket parts, there are many online dealers, including the iboats mall and maxrules (dot) com

If you don't plan to work on the motor yourself, you need to find someone that can and will. Many dealers and big shops won't work on Chrysler motors. Your best bet is to ask around where ever you can. Boat shops, bait shops, fellow boaters at the boat ramp, etc. Often times a small independent one man shop, is the place to get these motors serviced.
If you tell us where you are located, perhaps another member can recommend a shop for you.

Have your motor checked out and serviced, so that your boating adventures are happy ones.

Speaking of the boat ramp; learn as much about trailering, launching, loading, and boat ramp etiquette as you can. Best to spend a few hours on a Saturday morning, watching others launch and load. This will give you good opportunities to make friends and ask "how-to" questions.
Also, if you need to, go practice backing the trailer. Any large empty parking lot will do.

Your first couple times on the water will be an experience. Best if you can find a friend or fellow boater that will show you the ropes.

If you cannot find the hull id number on the back of the transom, you can make up your own number and engrave it on there, then use this number for your registration paperwork. The same goes for the trailer. Check with the authorities first, you may not need these numbers to register an older/smaller boat.

Welcome aboard, and Happy Boating.

rtransue

Recruit

Thank you all for your help and advice. This is my second attempt to post this. I was about to finish and post when we lost power and my UPS decided to shut our computers down just before the power came back up. Ah, well.... That's life on the farm!

Anyway, to answer a couple of questions that were posted in your replies, I live outside Carrollton, GA on a little 8 acre mini farm.

The only boat shop we had closed it's doors about three years ago. I have to travel about 55-60 miles to find one.

My disability is that I have the use of only one arm and hand due to a spinal cord injury a couple of years ago, and I have to walk with a cane most of time, especially during the winter months. My better half will get out and help me, though. She has MS so doesn't get around to well herself, but that isn't going to stop us from fishing, or most other things. If we can't do it anymore (such as building a pasture fence) we hire it done. Not as much fun, but it gets done.

I had already planned to change the impeller and gear lube, although I have no idea where the water pump is located, or how to go about changing the gear lube. I'll buy a tune-up and repair manual for it before I start on it. I can't work on it yet, as the weather is not suitable to be out in. And, if I can't do the work, I'll find a boat shop or repair facility that can.

I do intend to buy a flush kit so that I can run it out of the water while I check it out.

Again, I appreciate all of your replies. I am sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Richard

p.s Why don't a lot of the boat shops work on Chrysler engines anymore? Is it due to the fact that they are no longer made?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Probably a combination of reasons.Even though Force motors are the decendents of Chryslers the Chrysler name disapeared about 84 probably before some techs were born.Parts availability and to some the multiple ignition systems appear complicated and are touchy to improper trouble shooting.Some improperly stored older motors can have miltiple problems that can be a mystery to younger techs.If you are mechanically inclined and get yourself a service manual you should be able to keep your motor in operation.And you have us to fall back on.
A shop can turn out a lot more simple modern tuneups and powerrhead/gearcase repairs in the time it would take them to just reasearch an older motor they are not aquainted with.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

They dont work on them because of the age and parts availible. Half way down there are two covers held in place by 6 bolts and nuts. These are the motor leg covers. Inside these covers is the shift adjustment (may not be there on yours becasue yours is a newer model). It is a 2.5 inch hex nut that has a linkage going into it from the top and bottom. When you remove the four screws holding the lower unit on to the motor leg this nut must be removed in order to remove the lower unit so you can get at the impeller. Putting this all back together is tough with two hands and sometimes an extra person is needed. Email me at ralgoetz@comcast.net and I can help you with better instructions and illustrations.