Pennzoil

Found a good deal on some Pennzoil TC-W3 and was wondering has anyone else used this oil and has anyone heard of any problems with it? I have a 97 Intruder 150 and was thinking about buying some at this price.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pennzoil

It's good oil, 97.

Go for it.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

do not mix the oil with the other tcW3 you have in the tank.
empty the tank and fill it up with the other brand oil.

i found that even the oil is good mixing a lot and switching from this brand to the other will give engine trouble.

if you decide to get pennzoil OK, stick with it. do not mix it with the next good deal or sale TCWIII.

if you have Evinrude oil in your tank and next week you add pennzoil and the week after that you add yammalube and the week after that you add quicksilver and than Ammsoil you will defently run into trouble.

only to save a few bucks???
and the last oil you put in your tank will get the blame for blowing up the ph.

good luck

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

At the risk of opening a can of worms::: I would think TCW3 is TCW3 and should be compatable. Are there any official recomendations by someone with no axe to grind ie: Pennzoil saying use only Pennzoil.
Personally I ran what ever I had in my 88 50 Evinrude VRO for the first 17 years with no oil related problems.
Only changed to premix because of horror stories of failure of the Evinrude system with no alarm.Of course I still run what ever I have.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

thats right it should be compatable.

but is it?

the viscosity is not the same.
some aditives are different.

im not favouring an oil and saying this oil is bad,
i just would not recomend trowing them in a oil tank and mix them .
i would stick with 1 oil and if you dont like it clean the system and switch.
if you keep blending and mixing you cant track any problems.
just thinking the last oil i added was a bad brand.

do whatever you want to do it aint my engine, i just recomend what i think is best.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Any TWC, ANY brand, MIX with ANYTHING thats in there. Sorry Dutch, your theory would have me sitting here with 20 busted motors, 'stead on great runners. Oil's oil on the TCW route...this aint ...oh heck, I don;'t know where you came up with this theory. Got something in the way of concrete evidence saying one TCW WON"T mix with any other?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

concrete evidence is that when you mix and mengle oil and your brand new powerhead will blow up all your warrantee is voided.
ask the manufacurers if its ok to mix the oil.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've been around the block a time or two and I've never seen a TCW3 oil container that specifically indicates not to mix it with any other TCW3. I have seen containers such as Amzoil that say it can be mixed with TCW3 but is not recommended long term. But those containers of Amzoil Synthetic weren't TCW3 branded. Not mixing TCW3 branded oils is similar to the old wives tale about not switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional oil in your car. The car doesn't care. If it leaks it will leak more with synthetic. If it burns oil, it will burn more with synthetic. Other than that there is no problem in doing so. Same with TCW3.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

so what you are telling me is that if i calll up a rep from yammaha and tell him i have a brand new 2 stroke carburated motor and i used a little of pennzoil and a little of xd30 and a litle of yamalube because i bought it cheap, and my powerhead blew up he will tel me no problem reeldutch TCWIII = TCWIII.
here is a new powerhead.

i dont think so.

but i might be wrong

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There is a law (can't remeber the name of the act right now) that says an engine manufacturer cannot deny waranty based on oil brand unless they supply the specified brand at no charge.

They can deny warranty based on a type of oil. IE - if you have a motor that is specified to run on TCW III and you were using TCW oil or TCW II (if you could find it), or 10W-40, yes they can deny oil related powerhead failures once they determine that you weren't using TCW III or higher rated oil.

It's been a while and yes, things change but when we did our oil testing, mixing brands of TCW III oils did not produce any negative results. We even mixed TCW III and synthetic blends and full synthetics. While we did not have any negative issues, we'd still recommend that you stick with the same type, whatever you choose.

We bought a boat a couple of years ago that has a 1990 200 V6 on it. The guy had owned it for about 10 years and always used what I consider to be a "not-so-good" brand oil although it was TCW III rated. The oil tank was about 1/2 full and I used the boat a couple times and when I added oil I added Pennzoil Blend. Which is what I've always used since our oil tests in my carb'd recreational motors.

Anyway, the only difference I saw was that it doesn't smoke anymore. I suspect he was going thru plugs pretty often because there were new ones in it when we got it. I haven't changed plugs yet.

Remember, TCW III is a rating. To make that rating the oil additive package has to meet a certian standard. There's nothing saying that one brand TCW III oil can't have a better additive package, it just says it can't have less and still maintain a TCW III rating. Therefore it's possible that some brands of TCW III oil could be better than others.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fact
Part of the approval testing for certification to TCW-3 is the ability to mix with other certified TCW-3 oils.
The criteria for certification can easily be found on the net.

Not a good idea to ask Yamaha paid employee what oil he wants you to run in a Yamaha motor. He has a major conflict of interest.
I own both a Yam and a BRP motor each dealer prods me to purchase his oil and swears on a stack of bibles that his is the best. When asked to provide proof, any proof to back up that claim no one can.

Yamaha oil requirements for their motors are for TCW-3 certified oils. Mixed or not they will honor a warrenty issue. Has anyone ever had an actual motor failure that was due to a TCW-3 oil and the warrenty rejected by the motor manufacturer?

Walker

Captain

Just don't mix Scamsoil with your toothpaste. That **** is so slick it won't stay in the tube!!8)8)

reeldutch

Lieutenant

well,

it might be ok to mix and mingle with TCWIII.
i'm still convinced that the best practice is to stick with one brand of oil. if you want to switch thats great whatever but to change oil brand every time you have to fill up the tank i will not recomend.
and i totaly agree that there are good TCWIII and better TCWIII.

if other people think its all the same thats fine to.