1971 60 hp evinrude 3 cy no spark

dave3331

Cadet
I have just gotten this motor from my inlaws. its been sitting for about 10 years. I'm new to boat motors and it dosen't have any spark. I've cleaned the points and bought new spark plugs. Does amyone know where I should go from here?

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 60 hp evinrude 3 cy no spark

Probably should replace points, condensers and of course ignition coils....if you have the flywheel off you willprobably see they are cracked and need to be replaced inorder for you to have any luck getting this to run.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That motor has CD electronic Ignition with points. No condensers. Not to be messed with unless you have a manual and first take every precaution to make sure that all electrical connections are clean and tight. Unless you want to buy an $expensive$ amplifier.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

there is a wire black\white? coming from timer base (points) turn on key and tap this wire (from) amplifier (black box) onto ground
you should here a spark if not turn flywheel to around number 1 tdc and recheck if you don't here a spark and battery is good
this could/will get expensive and complicated

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

if you provide me with your e-mail i can maybe helpd:)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If I could add....you will need a top notch battery for this particular system and ensure it's fully charged all the time. Any voltage from the battery below 11volts could blow the amplifier....very expensive.

If you find that you need points, they are no longer available from BRP or in most cases, from any aftermarket company. However, you can search up SeaWay Marine in Washington State and get them. Ask for the factory seconds. Yes, I said the "factory seconds". There is nothing wrong with them except maybe the points may not be exactly square. New top shelf points will run around $65 where the seconds will run around $32. PN is 383655.

Many times the old points can be poished and used. I've had success using 600grit paper. Make them shine.

dave3331

Cadet

marinemech1 i did what you said with the black/white wire and heard a spark.

and i want to thank everyone for their help. i ordered a manual a few days ago.