curious about oil

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer
i apologise first if this seems like a dumb question,i know that motorbike 2 stroke oil cannot be put in the fuel mixture i am curious as to why not:/

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: curious about oil

They typically run much hotter than water-cooled outboards. Outboards have plenty of cooling water available to them, and outboards typically run much cooler than just about any other internal combustion engine. So the oil's performance at a given temperature is fine-tuned into the product.

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

is this the same for air cooled outboard

Laddies

Banned

Some injection oils are not to be mixed with gas because they contain additives that will not mix with gas, thats why they are labeled as not for use in premixed fuel

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, Jimlad.

Air cooled outboards should use the same oil as other air cooled 2 stroke engines. Typically we recommend chainsaw or weedwhacker oil.

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

Hi JB
many thanks for that info im quite new to this and would have trashed my outboard before getting it on my boat
many thanks!

jimlad

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, I like to have one oil to do all my oiling chores. I tried it with 2 cycle equipment and after a few site visits on the web I realized that my wish was futile and wasn't going to happen. OB oil is made for OB requirements and the other stuff for their requirements.....take it from Joe Redneck.....spend a couple of bucks on the right oil and save yourself problems later on.

(Can't believe I said that but I did, and times change.) Wanna ask me about the 5W-30 oil I put in my Mopar 4.7 V8 when I am a heavy duty diesel oil guy (Rotella T 15W-40 for everything.............not any more).

Mark

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

ok i have a mariner 3.5hp i think was made in 1980 it is air cooled should i put proper outboard 2 stroke oil with the fuel or something like a chainsaw oil and at what ratio please

jimlad

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

jimlad,

You might frequent oil refiners/sellers/marketers web sites for your answer. They (some) will explain the differences in the requirements placed on the lubricants for applications such as OB, Snowmobile, motorcycle, lawnmower, weedeater, and all. I did and it gave me an education and I now use the proper oil.

I guess what you'll have to figure out is was it designed as an air cooled OB, or was it a spinoff from a motorcycle or something else to come up with the right answer.....or just email Brunswick.

My 2c,

Mark

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

ok mark cheers for that i will do that

thanks
jimlad