Motor home roof question.......

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Ok folks, I apologize if this gets long winded,but I try and explain everything as much as possible.

We (a group of 4 guys) are proud owners of a winnabego(sp?) from the early 70's I think 73,but not 100% sure.....This motorhome is used up to 2x a year and thats only for the nascar races up in Michigan.....The previous owner welded 2" tube steel to the front and rear bumpers and built a platform that sits above the roof....I believe its framed with either 2x4's or 2x6's...Pretty shoddy workmanship to say the least...But it works for what we need it to do.....
The roof is leaking and now we have this big old heavy platform above our roof that needs replaced.....

With the wheels in my head turning....
Im thinking along the lines of tearing off the big heavy platform completely....Tearing off the roof completely...Im picturing using 2x6 metal studs for the new roof,with 1/2" plywood or the likes on the top...And cover that with a nice new slab of rubber roof I got off the last construction job I was on.....
I have the knowledge and knowhow to frame this together,and I think the 2x6s metal studs all tied together with some cross supports tossed in,plus the plywood would be plenty sturdy to handle the weight of 8 or so people on top watching the race....Not to mention should lighten up the load for traveling purposes.....

My main concern is how would I tie this 2x6 platform to the existing walls,and make it safe to travel down the road at 60+mph?

I know the walls on motor homes are not that thick,so Im worried on how to connect it all together...
Currently there is a metal adjustable support pole (like what you find in basements under the main joist) which helps support the weight on the roof,so Im not to worried about sagging or anything like that....

Any ideas would be appreciated...

June isnt to far away and something has to be done with the roof situation we have now...
Thanks

ndemge

Commander
Re: Motor home roof question.......

Very interesting....

Just remember... studs are made for holding up veritical loads, not horizontal. Maybe get some steel truss for your roof.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Keep in mind you have height issues so you can not go too high and most of all weight issues. I am sure your camper is heavy now at the top.

How about taking apart what you have and re-sealing it? Re-construct it better (stronger) than it is. Take a sincer look at the present construction off the bumpers. Bumpers are made for horizontal bumps. Even a bumper attached to a heavy duty pickup truck has weight limitations.

As far as the sealing of the whole roof... think of it in boat terms. Epoxy, fiberglass, even epoxy coated wood will last. The rubber is good but must be fully glued.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Im afraid with looking from the inside and the sagging/leaking...I dont think much of the existing roof can be saved....Lets just say Im planning for the worse and hoping for the better.

The rubber roof I have is 1 solid piece that would cover then entire surface area,plus overhang on the sides to fasten it down....If I went this route I would also lay a glue down to help seal it up.

I can see the understanding of metal studs are made for vertical support, and Im looking for horizontal support....Im just trying to picture what the walls and ceilings are made with right now (support wise) I know the walls only appear to be 1-2" thick at most....I cant imagine the camper roof being much thicker then the walls.

Again Im just tossing around ideas right now....Spring time will be the true test when we hit it hard.

BF

Lieutenant

I very much doubt that the side walls are strong enough to support much weight on the roof. You sure wouldn't want it to collapse on someone. I think the previous owner had the right idea (run big tube up from the frame or solid bumpers, and build off that)... Any of you owners do any welding? Sounds like you could build something out of steel that would be better/prettier than what's on there, and still be supported by bumper/frame instead of the side walls.

A year or so ago, a local steel supplier had steel I-beams that were about 6" high... they were surprisingly light for how strong they'd be on edge. He said folks we're snapping them up for building docks... they're the same stock used for beams/supports under semi trailers.

I'd take off the existing platform, then seal the original roof (but keep it)... and fire up the welder... The sagging is probably the fiber board finishing stuff on the inside. I'd replace with similar stuff after the aluminum skin is water tight again.

Maybe ask the local steel supply place, or call a couple companies that make steel docks and see what they think... and what they have on hand.

anyway, that's my $.02

Link

Rear Admiral

I agree with BF
Treat it as two projects.
First the motor home roof and leaks. Many ways to correct.
Then the platform above the motor home.
Treat the platform as a add on. Self supporting.
You can not rely on 2" X 2" wood vertical supports to hold
the platform and eight people!
Also seal off the platform from wind while driving.
IE: No wind lift.

just my .02 also

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Just wanted to bump this post back up....We never got around to fixing the roof on the motor home as 2 of the owners had newborns. So im looking to somehow fix this problem this spring(fingers crossed)

Just figured I would get it back to the top to see if there were any new "fresh" ideas lurking around the board.

Thanks.

passingwindII

Seaman

i often run into similiar thoughts about odd jobs. I tend to over think the whole job, and loose sleep over it. I've learned that if one feels comfortable
with his/hers capabilities as you do, just tare into it. All that thinking and asking is a waste of time. No one knows what you got and you dont know what you got. you'll probably find its simpliar than what was thought.

old saying---- keep it simple, stupid

gl

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

I understand that completely when its just my property..Ie doing the plumbing and changed out my furnace myself..Wasnt even worried about jumping in with both feet...

This has 3 other owners, plus I want to make sure its road safe as then other peoples lives are at risk also... I will still jump in and do something on it for sure, just kinda thinking that 20,000 minds(or however many people would read this are better then just one,they may think of something that I may have missed.
Keep em coming
Thanks

Once I get the motor home out of storage and to my place I will take some before and after pictures.

Coors

Captain

I don't think that exterior wall (18 gauge) 2x6 metal studs will hold that weight.
Maybe wood 2x6 @ 16" o/c; but you still don't have the structural walls to support them, with that weight.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Motor homes, even of that age, are built as light as possible. There is no way the existing walls will hold up anything but the roof. Don't even think about attaching to them .

The sagging you see inside the motor home is just the inner liner. The tin on the roof should still be good. Getting it to seal up again can be tough but, I think your on the right track. Then you have to decide if you want to replace the inside ceiling or just let it sag.

As far as how to build the platform I have no idea. Bur, I bet someone has done it before to watch races just like you. Have you done a good Internet search to see what other people have built?

gss036

Commander

My son-in-law just went through that last year w/my granddaughters old motorhome. You need to access the interior of the ceiling are and determine the condition of the top stringers. I doubt seriously if they are anything but 2X2 wood stringers and definately not designed for weight. Around the vents, ect for air conditioner, you willhopefully find at least 1/2" and maybe 3/4" plywood. If not anything you plan to put on top will probably need to have side supports fastened to the chasis. Good Luck
I have an old 1976 22 footer I am trying to get running, think I need a new carb or a rebuilt one.