warning buzzer

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 96 gm 350 thunder bolt 5 ign system w/ a bravo3 Prior owner ( a doctor ) disc the warning buzzer by cutting it off I have since reinstalled it the buzzer is wired into the wire harness for overheating , low drive lube & low oil press Buzzer now comes on and stays on until motor starts then shuts off is this operating
correctly? also how can I test it to be certain ? I dont want to find out the hard way

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: warning buzzer

All the sensors are in series, so with the engine not running, the oil pressure is ZERO, therefore the alarm is going off. After you start the engine, you have oil pressure and so that alarm goes off. Your temp and gear lube is ok, so No Alarm.

Normal

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don said:
All the sensors are in series, so with the engine not running, the oil pressure is ZERO, therefore the alarm is going off. After you start the engine, you have oil pressure and so that alarm goes off. Your temp and gear lube is ok, so No Alarm.

Normal

The manual says w/ key in on position it should shut off after 5 sec

Don S

What manual?

Don S

The alarm buzzer in the 94 and earlier Mercruisers had an alarm with a timer circuit built in that wouldn't allow the alarm to go off for 7 to 14 seconds after the key was on. But the 95 and newer models didn't have the timer and would come on when the key is turned on and will stay on till you have oil pressure.
Merc has never had one that only went off for 5 seconds and stopped.
I'll find some pictures of the 2 buzzers used by merc and post them in a bit.

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don said:
The alarm buzzer in the 94 and earlier Mercruisers had an alarm with a timer circuit built in that wouldn't allow the alarm to go off for 7 to 14 seconds after the key was on. But the 95 and newer models didn't have the timer and would come on when the key is turned on and will stay on till you have oil pressure.
Merc has never had one that only went off for 5 seconds and stopped.
I'll find some pictures of the 2 buzzers used by merc and post them in a bit.

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just so we are talking about the same thing I am refering to the warning buzzer droped in behind the dash hanging from the wiring harness

Don S

Your best bet would be to stop using that stupid
reply.gif
button. It's not necessary to quote everyting someone says.
Just scroll to the bottom of the thread and use the instant Reply section. Not near as confusing.

Anyway, here is a picture I took from the OEM service manual (I added the blue text)

Merc%20alam%20buzzers.PNG

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks , no question it is the 95 & newer version