Re-power - Long blocks from RapidO Marine in Miami

Hello,

I just got done diagnosing my low compression readings in 3 cylinders of a OMC 302 Ford. My boat is a 1977 Formula/Thunderbird Castaway, twin 5.0 302cid Ford OMC setup. When I pulled the head off, I came to the conclusion that it's time for full engine repower. The h20 passages in the exh. manifolds and cylinder heads were caked with salt and corrosion. I plan on cruising with my wife and son 30 miles out of SF Bay, so I'm not taking any chances on these engines. So, out they go.

I'd like to stick with the OMC/Ford setup for cost reasons. I found a place called RapidO Marine in MIami (www.rapidomarine.com) that sells rebuild long block 302 Ford for $1400 including shipping.

If I'm to rebuild the engines myself, I'd only save $200 a piece or so.

Has anyone bought a motor from Rapid O?

Also, I'm looking for a couple of 4 barrel Holley marine carbs and exhaust manifolds for these engines...any recommendations on source for these?

Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-power - Long blocks from RapidO Marine in Miami

Though I personally have not bought from Rapido, I have heard good things about them.....:)
Ed, your a rich dude, time to update those OMC's...:)

DHPMARINE

Captain

Nothing against the rebuild company.We do well with Jasper.But if you are spending only $200 each more,and can do it yourself,why gamble?

Doing it yourself means you know what was/wasn't done.

DHP

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

I personally know raul at rapid-o. They do good work. Thats where i get my long blocks from. One year warr. but the only thing is he wants to see oil change receipts for every 50 hrs or so if the engine fails. They use all new rotating supplies. and ship around the country for 150. I have got 8 from him and not one prob yet.

lilmandavis said:
I personally know raul at rapid-o. They do good work. Thats where i get my long blocks from. One year warr. but the only thing is he wants to see oil change receipts for every 50 hrs or so if the engine fails. They use all new rotating supplies. and ship around the country for 150. I have got 8 from him and not one prob yet.

Cool...I guess my decision is made. I wonder how he can sell a long block for $1400 without a core? Some yards charge that for running take out engines with unknown hours!

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

He has 100's of blocks laying around. he doesnt want anymore! the only cores he wants are vortec heads and blocks. He will take bb cores too.

Laddies

Banned

I think if you are thinking about changing carb and manifolds you would be happier in the end with Edelbrock carbs they are light years ahead of Holley

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ditto, get the Edelbrock.
I have a Merc. Weber, it is the same carb, and after my experience with this carb I will never use anything else. They are very user friendly, and once they are set up right, your are done, no leaking fuel bowls, no blown power valves......

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a 5.7 with heads from Rapido in Nov last year. Very good clean block.

Been away for a while, finally got it in last week, started at first crank. Running very smooth, now to put it through the break-in.

No problems dealing with Rapido, recommended.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi, i had the luxery of seeing rapido's web site before my trip to fla. i visited raul to talk about the engine. i brought the engine. i live in pa. with his watt. if you get a shop to install it you can get 2 years motor and labor up to i think 4k labor. 1 yr complete motor gasket's etc. 2nd yr just major stuff. the warr. cost me $200 . but motor has to be installed by shop. i can do it myself. but i have boat at local dealer . engine is getting pulled very shortly. and the motor's at my buddy's garage. it's really nice lookin. did not run it yet but will as soon as they get it in. my job is a winter fillin job for them.save$$$. also raul started the warr. in feb . but i brought it in nov...89 19' css glastron carlson..i cannot wait
bob/philly

delsol

also raul was very far with the prices. that i brought my manifold's riser's and water pump and $200 watt,. from him total for just the gm 5.7 4 bolt main long block i think was $1550 with no core. just some info. have not ran motor but been to his shop . he's a stand up guy. i called the warr. company they are in denver. they seem like a good company $200 2yrs parts and labor. up to4k labor i think. i had guy's here in n.j area not even return my calls . i called jasper. but i know they are a big company. but my buddy had only got 1 day out of a car inline six because it sounded bad. they gave him a new jasper motor and with all the maintaince it only lasted 30k or so . it lasted years but no miles. also he had a jasper tran's in his van too much$$$ so i choose not to give them a chance. do to him going thur 2 motor's in 30k mile's and total maintaince was alway done on time. most before time.also their price's were not bad . but???
bob/philly

KaGee

Admiral

Chalk me up as a fan of Raul. I placed my order and then a hurricane decided to change course and head toward Miami. My order got misplaced in the shuffle. I called to check on the status and once he found out what happened he ran my motor the same day. i took delivery two days after my phone call. See my pics if you have any questions about the condition it arrived in.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I looked at his website also.When its time to do a repower i'll give him a call.Great prices.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot to mention that the price come with a full set of Felpro gaskets which is worth quite a bit.

Except for the exhaust manifolds gaskets, the kits includes all the other gaskets: oil pan, intake manifold, cyl heads, fuel pump, water pump, timing cover, cover oil seal.

delsol

in rembemer
kagee. and other talking about these engine's so i got one. it's winter here and motor's not in .but it's look's really nice. also my pan was rusty . valve covers were to. so he gave me used covers/oil/valve/ sold me new manifolds at a fair price water pump all shipped to philly in less then 1 week for small low price shipping.
bob