good boat for offshore ocean AND small lake waterskiing

jhynes

Recruit
Hi,

I currently own a Sea Ray Sundancer 280 which I use in the ocean in the Boston area. I'm thinking about selling this and replacing it with a boat that would be safe to use offshore in the ocean, yet also able to easily pull a waterskiier on a lake. I want something with a cuddy cabin and a portapotty at a minimum. Certainly not something too big to use on the small lake / pond that Iive on. I'm looking for something in the low 20 foot area. I guess my question is-- to safely use a boat offshore I assume I need a deep-V or modified-V hull. Most cuddy's don't appear to have this hull shape, so I don't think I'd feel comfortable offshore with them. But will I be able to get out of the water fast enough to get a skier up with a deep V?

Anyone have any recommendations for a "dual-use" boat like this?

Thanks!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: good boat for offshore ocean AND small lake waterskiing

Does anyone make a RIB with a cuddy in your area?

That'd tick all the boxes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You're looking to go from one extreme to the other which is tough becouse it a compromise. I run my Grady 226 offshore now and then and it can certainly pull people up, probably two if need be. But....the way the hull is designed it displaces a lot of water and a 40 mph boat that throws that much water isn't real conducive to making friends at you local lake. :)

http://www.gradywhite.com/grady-built/seav2.php3

D

DJ

You can't get much safer than a Boston Whaler. Plus they are fairly light and pull well.

No "hard" cuddy though, in a 20'. There are lots of options for Whaler canvas that can close off the front of the boat for weather protection.

arthat

Seaman

Hi J,

I agree with DWJ on the Whaler. I'm curious though, how far off shore you would venture and how small the lake is. That info would help us give you our thoughts.

Successful Boating,

Art

D

DJ

I can't disagree with an EdgeWater.

They were designed by the oriiginal design engineer from Boston Whaler.

They are not cheap, but worth every penny in my book.

jhynes

Recruit

Hi, thanks for the suggestions... the Edgewater is nice. I'd never heard of them. I was also thinking about a Whaler, possibly a Conquest. I hadn't thought about how much wake it might throw off. The lake I live on is pretty small. Certainly big enough for several boats to waterski on at once. Maybe 2/3 of a mile across at the widest point. I wouldn't go very far offshore in my boat-- I'd just like to go up and down the coast from Boston. Maybe down to the Cape and up to Gloucester. I'm not sure how safe one feels in a 20 footer, although I usually only go out for the day only in good weather. The Gradys look nice as well. It does seem like a fishing boat with a cuddy might be the way to go (although I don't fish!).

D

DJ

(although I don't fish!).

What's a matter with you? just kidding.

Anyway, A "Grady" (beautiful/well built) will throw a HUGE wake. Your neighbors will hate you.

Go lighter. A safe boat, as suggested, is a Whaler or EW.

arthat

Seaman

An 18-20 foot Whaler or Edgewater will be fine up and down the coast as you stated, good weather, calm seas. A friend has a 17 foot Whaler which he uses on a lake and has been to Boston from Cape Ann in good weather with a decent chop. No problem. It's a great ski/tubing boat too.

Hope this helps

Successful Boating Art

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Keep your sea ray and get a smaller boat for the inland lakes. A used trihull will not cost you much at all. Or fork out the bucks for a lightly used 16 foot modern boat. You will probably be happier with that in the long run.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

In a word Wellcraft..........8) Sportsman 220, dam nice ride

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

DWJ said:
I can't disagree with an EdgeWater.

They were designed by the oriiginal design engineer from Boston Whaler.

They are not cheap, but worth every penny in my book.

DJ respectfully ive pounded many a wave in my time and in Boston's, iv'e never found a outstanding quality in them aside from being light and rigid. But that was year's ago have they changed that much?

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ditto Bassboy.

Or just sell the Sea Ray and use the money to get a 16-18 foot bowrider/ski boat for the lake and a 20 something Grady White with a cuddy for the ocean.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

how about something like this?
V225_04.jpg

bekosh

Lieutenant

bassboy1 said:
Keep your sea ray and get a smaller boat for the inland lakes. A used trihull will not cost you much at all. Or fork out the bucks for a lightly used 16 foot modern boat. You will probably be happier with that in the long run.

This is just what I was going to say. A small 15-16ft older used boat in good condition will set you back, probably under $5k. And operating/maint costs are minor.