Please Help with another floor Question

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please Help with another floor Question

TMH, I just read your reply. Please understand physics and chemistry before commenting about static. Yes static is everywhere, but your trying to take it out of context. Many variables are involved in creating static electricity and plastic bottles rubbing is one way.

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just think, not only can you save money on foam, You can cash in you insurance policy on the boat after it blows up from static discharge and gas fumes in the bilge!
I just don't understand why your so concerned about floatation when there is obviously a fire hazard here.

Call the coast guard and ask them if you can substitute floatation foam with plastic bottles.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

chrismarion said:
TMH, I just read your reply. Please understand physics and chemistry before commenting about static. Yes static is everywhere, but your trying to take it out of context. Many variables are involved in creating static electricity and plastic bottles rubbing is one way.

well, let's see....I guess my MS degree in Physics can't compete with your having read one post from someone who hasn't given any specific source for his comment.

Dude, give it a break before you embarass yourself.

As for all the posts about "saving money" being no reason to be unsafe, it is very hard to arguee with your logic.....especially because you don't understand WHY many poeple do NOT put foam back in. PLEASE read this and memorize it!!!! Here is the scenerio:

I JUST ripped out 300 lbs of waterlogged foam from my boat! The wet foam also rotted the floor and stringers from the inside out. Gee....I wonder...why would that person NOT want to put foam back in his boat???? To save money???? hmmmmm......or could it be something else? (Hint: re-read the first part of this paragraph).

Guys, I'm certainly no expert on this subject. I REALLY want to know what info folks have on both sides of the question. But it does not help the discussion to quote a dictionary or agrue about saving money when that isn't the question. PLEASE, stop the red herring arguements.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Embarass myself? No ignorance is embarassing, along with the thought of soda bottles. Before flashing your MS degree around, revert back to your previous post on never knowing about soda bottles being a potential hazard and plastic creating static. This could concern you! No sir, I did not get my information from ONE POST. It would be located in the very books you read to get your "MS Degree". You want to rant about what does/doesn't create static electricity, start another thread. Your taking it off topic.

"I JUST ripped out 300lbs of waterlogged foam from my boat! The wet foam also rotted the floor and stringers from the inside out. "

Read this and memorize it.
Welcome to owning a 36 year boat. Built right the first time or it wouldnt have lasted this long.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...um.....OK......tough post to respond to.....not sure what you said....not sure you said anything....hmmmmm

Just to make sure we all understand, the statement that "plastic can create static" is VERY different than "Plastic soda bottles under a boat floor is an explosion hazard".

Chris, read that and memorize it.

I don't really know what "36 year old boats" have to do with any of this, but.....good point.....I guess. If anyone here owns one that old you really helped them out with your wisdom.

Bondo

Staff member

I fully understand the topic of this discussion and know that soda bottles will also not cut it.

Well,......

I own boats that are both Newer,+ boats that are Older than the 36 years mentioned.......

The 1s that are in the Best Shape,....... Did NOT have Foam in them from the Start.......

And,......
I own boats that Prove that Soda Bottles WILL in fact Work Just Fine...........
Without Rotting Out the work I put into them........
I Think your Static Electricity arguement is Lame,.... A Moot Point,+ Non-Issue.......

As long as we're all listing Our Qualifications,......

All I've got is a Doctorate Degree in Common Sense, from the University of Life.........:love:

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess it boils down to personal prefrence...I want to re-foam my boat but I don't want water to hold in the bottom either. Putting a channel under the foam with holes I think the foam expanding will fill those holes and block them. And, I don't see doing the floor a section at a time to pull out any plastic covered pipe as mention before to make a void for water. It seems to me that water( or condisation (sp)) will find its way under the floor. I plan on keeping this boat for a long time thats why I want to do it right the first time. I just wanted to also say this is the best site ever and thankyou to all who are helping. Zet

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zet, my thoughts exactly. It does leave one with an unsolved delema, but I doubt either way one goes will be catastrophic so it's not the end of the world. My biggest concern if I use soda bottles or nothing is more from a ride quality - vibration and noise - that the foam may provide. Not that boats without foam ride worse, but typically they are not 19' BRs either.

btw, my commet about my physoics degree was only posted as a response to someone thinking he/she was the expert on what causes static even though he/she had no specific knowledge in that. I openly admit that I am a total novice in "boatology" and also that I have no knowledge of static between soda bottles (nor does anyone else here, byw, as best I can tell). I agree with bond-o that it is in all likelyhood a non-issue, but I don't pretend to base this on anything more than common sense as well.

oh.....crap...I gotta go.....my fridge just blew up from all the pepsi bottles I have in it!!!!! Darn, i KNEW those things were unstable!!!!

out

1sttimeowner

Seaman Apprentice

SODA BOTTLES,soda bottles,soda bottles 8)

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

tmh said:
oh.....crap...I gotta go.....my fridge just blew up from all the pepsi bottles I have in it!!!!! Darn, i KNEW those things were unstable!!!!
out

d:)Good to see you have sense of humor.d:)

I guess we can agree to dissagree

1sttimeowner

Seaman Apprentice

Just a thought in redneckology Let me ask this,what if you put foam inside the soda bottles,seal the bottles up,then epoxy those down to the hull.Sure there is still the static issue :% .Then also they would still be closed cell foam.What are your thoughts on that?

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just paint the bottles! no more static right?

Bondo

Staff member

1sttimeowner said:
Just a thought in redneckology Let me ask this,what if you put foam inside the soda bottles,seal the bottles up,then epoxy those down to the hull.Sure there is still the static issue :% .Then also they would still be closed cell foam.What are your thoughts on that?

I see No Benefit to that.......

The Foam would be useless added Weight.......

The Soda Bottles by themselves will hold Pressure till 'ell freezes over,.....
As long as they're Not exposed to Sunlight,+ there's Not much Sunlight in most Bilges.....

No Need to fill the Soda Bottles with Anything but Air,.....
No Need to Glue the Caps on,......

Just Cap'm,+ Pack'm...........

And,.... As I've said before,.... If they're Capped,+ Packed while it's Below Freezing(at 30*s or Colder),...
At the Temps you're going to be Boating at(aka. Above Freezing)......
They'll maintain a Postive Pressure,.... No Rattling,+ Very Little Shifting, If Any.......

It's a very Simple Idea,...... No reason to Complicate it......

1sttimeowner

Seaman Apprentice

And,.... As I've said before,.... If they're Capped,+ Packed while it's Below Freezing(at 30*s or Colder),...
At the Temps you're going to be Boating at(aka. Above Freezing)......
They'll maintain a Postive Pressure,.... No Rattling,+ Very Little Shifting, If Any.......

It's a very Simple Idea,...... No reason to Complicate it......

Well sounds like it would work.But it doesn't get down that cold in Calif.but i'll have to wait for a cold night to try.I am new to all of this restoration/build stuff.You guys offer alot of ideas and I am getting alot of ideas of what to do.Thanks.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! This is some entertaining reading! Back to the topic...

I'm neck deep in a boat resto now myself, so I'd like to get my head around this. When I pulled the floor up in my boat, the false bottom was completely filled with water. There were some obvious reasons for this, that I won't go into here. There was "some" poured-in foam in the bottom, rather haphazardly poured in there, allowing water to get in around it. After I put mycompletely glassed floor back in, my plan is to pour in enough polyurethane foam to completely take up all voids under the floor. My question is, if you properly glass and seal the floor, how can water get in there at all??? And if the false bottom has absolutely no voids, even if there is a perforation of some type, how can water get in? I doubt in my boat water will ever get in the false bottom, since boating season around here is very short, and my boat will be 100% garaged when not in use.

TG

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

blanchebeachcraft, you got a Beachcraft ????? Where are you located (you shoulda put it in your profile) Grrrrr! I hate it when people don't bother to do that.

Ok. now that I have soundly admonished you, if you have a Beachcraft, you need to get your behind down to the Mfgr's forum and post some pictures and everything you know about your boat and brand. We need to get an Inet archieve of this defunct, cute, brand. There is no other resourse that I could find. We need to make one here on iboats.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

blanch, no way to fill the void to keep water out. However, a properly glassed in floor with no spots for water to get in in theory will keep water out. However, that was the theory when they were made and somehow the water got in! I think one of the keys is to just drill holes in the stringers where water needs to go to get back to the bilge pump. It's trapping it that causes the foam to soak it up in the first place.

Good luck.

iwombat

Captain

I've been following this topic for quite some time now, and at this point I'm prepared to offer the following remedy to solve the boat flotation question once and for all.

Instead of going either the foam or bottle route you should instead adhere to the following program:

1) Purchase a small inflatable life raft.
2) Place properly in the floor.
3) Fill with helium.
4) Cover with flooring material.

Not only will you have properly draining flotation, but you'll have an emergency life raft just sitting under your floorboards waiting for you to saw it out in case of an emergency. Of course, you should place a handy cordless saw someplace on the boat in a box covered with glass. A proper label "In case of emergency break glass" is appropriate in this case as well. The helium, is also much lighter than air and is far better flotation that either foam or bottles allow.

As an added bonus, if you fill the raft with hydrogen instead of helium and your boat still sinks, by law you're allowed to set fire to your insurance adjuster while exclaiming "Oh the huge manatee!".

Just sayin' is all.